Downgrade JIRA version with workflow and project

Soo Min Ooi August 12, 2014

we have JIRA 6.3.1 installed with projects, workflow and issue migrated from another defect tracking system. However we founf that some add-ons are not compatible and considering downgrade to 6.3 where it should be working. Can we do the downgrade on JIRA version only withour impacting current project, workflow and issue?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2014

Technically, no, you can't downgrade.

In real life, as long as the database scheme has not changed AT ALL, then you can do it by hacking the versions of the data that the database is reporting and running an old Jira against it. 6.3.1 to 6.3.0 should be ok with that.

But I strongly recommend NOT doing it. A plugin not compatible with 6.3.1 but is ok for 6.3.0 is likely to be upgraded quite soon, saving you a lot of work - to do this downgrade, you're looking at a full set of export/downgrade/intensive-testing runs before you do it to production. It is likely to be a LOT easier to simply live with 6.3.1 and wait for the plugin update.

Or better, tell us what plugins are incompatible, and we'll see if you can work around it or if the authors are going to update soon!

Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

Please note that jira 6.3.1 is minor upgrade, so 99% that plugin that is marked as incompatible is compatible by fact, so I would advice to have slight test of plugin features against such complex procedure.

Matthias Kuespert September 3, 2014

I just downgraded our JIRA from 6.3.1 to 6.2.7 by exporting via JIRA backup, shut down the newer version, installed the older version and on first startup imported the backup XML file.

This procedure should work as long as the backup format has not changed between the affected versions. However, AFAIK Atlassian does not provide a compatibility matrix for the backup format. I'm still waiting for feedback from support confirming this.

Trial and error (on a test system) is a skill for all JIRA admins ;-)

philas June 15, 2016

This is awful.

No compability matrix available?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2016

Here's the official one:

There are no versions of JIRA that can be downgraded to a lower one.

Yves Martin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2017

Suggest an answer