Don't allow specific projects to be viewed by certain users

Kyle Steere
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 4, 2018

Some of the projects seem to be available globally in JIRA to all users no matter what people are a part of that project. This is a problem since we have some users which are outside contractors that shouldn't be able to see into all of the projects. I am assuming that this could be related to when a new project is created and who can view the project. 

Is there anyway this can be changed? I feel like I have exhausted every option except for deleting the projects which we would like to keep for their history. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2018

JIRA works by GRANTING access. You can't restrict access. By default, it grants access to the group used to logon (used to be JIRA-users but may be different on your version).  This is probably where you're getting the access from.

1. The FIRST thing you need to do to get control is to remove any groups with logon privileges from the permission scheme unless you absolutely want everyone to have that permission.
  2. Then I suggest you setup Project Roles for the various functions like, tester, QA, Browse Only, etc.
  3. One permission scheme will cover almost all projects. The project admin controls project role membership

This may be a big effort, but it will payoff down the road by making it easy to control access.

Kyle Steere
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 4, 2018

Thanks, I figured out that the creators of certain projects had the permission scheme allowing everyone to see it. This helped alot! 

Suggest an answer