Does there exist a checklist or set of test cases that can be used for Confluence and Jira UAT?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2018

My company is migrating our Atlassian suite to a completely new infrastructure and we start UAT next week.  I would like to provide testers with a starter checklist or set of test cases to run through for Confluence and Jira that they can refer to by number when they provide feedback.  I was hoping that this resource might already be readily available. 

1 answer

3 votes
Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2018

Hi,

This is a great question. We also have experienced something like this during our first upgrade.

There are some best practices tips here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/ug/best-practices-guide-for-upgrading-jira-software-server-933696757.html

However due to high level of customization, we had to come up with our own "list" and of course let the users test.

Here are the general outlines at what we usually check:

• User Access & Permission
    • User Directories (if configured AD for example)
    • Login per Application (SW,Core, Service Desk agent and portal)
    • Basic View Permission Check
  • Built-in JIRA Health Check
  • Built-in Log Analysis
  • Manual Log trail for Errors
  • Application Links
  • Search Engine, Filters, Boards, Dashboards
  • Project Configuration menu
  • Issue Configuration
  • Incoming Mail (in our case we have setup approvals and issue creation by mail)
  • Outgoing Mail
  • Administration menu
  • WORKFLOWS
    • This is very specific due to customization, however we pre-select 1 for each "type". What I mean by type, 1 type for us is a workflow which syncs from SD to JIRA SW project. 1 workflow uses e-mail approvals. 1 workflow is a simple "built-in" features only, etc.
    • This is very specific to your instance and might be a problem in very large (non-efficient imo) instances. But you could also run a SQL query to look for workflows having a specific function/add-on included. If you need it let me know.
  • Add-ons
    • Generally speaking, I would test first with them enabled, however disable if any issues are found and complete the test cases only with core JIRA functionalities. Then enable 1by1 to see where the issue relies
  • Reindex (we always do 1 full and 1 background)
  • Last but not least, at least do 1-2 restarts of the instance after every test case is completed and look the startup logs for any inconsistency.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck :)

Christian Steele January 15, 2024

This saved me time rewriting a standard basic list that is applicable for all Jira upgrades - This is a great list and thank you for sharing it! 

Suggest an answer