Does the JSON Importer have more functionality then the REST API?

Eric Anastas January 30, 2020

I'm investigating how to migrate my existing issues in Bitbucket to Jira. There use to be a plug-in for this, but now it looks like the offical answer from Atlassian is to export the issues from Bitbucket, and manipulate the JSON to match Jira's import format.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-data-from-bitbucket-935384618.html

I've been experimenting with this and it seems to be working, however previously I was looking into using the REST API directly. With the REST API there didn't seem to be any way to post issues or comments as other users, set the created date for a user, or set the status of an issue with out explicitly stepping through all the transitions.

Am I correct in understanding that the JSON Import has more functionality then the REST API?

2 answers

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2020

UPDATE: 

JRACLOUD-67311 - Ability to Import Bitbucket Issues into JIRA in JSON has been fixed.

Now you can easily export issues from Bitbucket and import into Jira as explained in:

Cheers,
Dario

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2020

Hello @Eric Anastas ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You are trying to compare functionalities that are meant to be used to do different things. Let me try to clarify without going too much into details:

• The REST APIs are used to interact with Jira remotely using scripts or similar and to integrate with 3rd party tools. They can also be used to create issues in Jira but not to import issues from other applications (e.g. Bitbucket). As written in the Integrating with Jira Cloud documentation page:

The Jira REST APIs let your app get and modify data in Jira cloud. For example, with the Jira cloud REST API, you can retrieve a queue's requests to display in your app or create requests from phone calls.

• The JSON Import (or the CSV import) are meant to be used to import data (issues) into Jira from other applications.

Please review the below Community thread in which we have extensively discussed this topic:

Let me know if it helps.

Cheers,
Dario

Suggest an answer