Does subtask count in cycle time?

Nagy Attila
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 27, 2018

Hi,

I wonder if sub-task is count in cycle time as task do?  We want to follow our lead time very strictly, but this question is still cause me some problems.

Thanks for the response!

Best Regards,

Attila

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2018

Assuming you're using the control chart, it will include subtasks by default if they show on the board.  To exclude from the calculation, simply add a quickfilter that doesnt include subtask issue types.

Now process wise, wether or not you should include subtasks in your cycle time calculations will depend on your workflow and what you're trying to measure.

Lidice Delgado
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 19, 2021

Hi! Do you know if parent tickets times are also included in the lead time? I wonder if the control chart includes the subtask times and also the parent ticket total time. For example, if I have a parent ticket with 3 subtasks and each of them took one day to be completed the control chat would consider 3 days and 3 more days for the parent ticket? (The parent ticket is also on the board and it is being moved to IN PROGRESS with the first subtask started and to DONE with the last subtask finished)

Karan Mohan Grover
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 16, 2021

Wondering if you were able to find a solution to this problem?

0 votes
Mouli March 9, 2020

From an Agile point of view - Yes..

Any Cycle Time measurement includes closure of all subtasks. A Task / Story is not done even if one of the SubTasks is open.

Suggest an answer