Does cloning stories impact metrics

Jonathan Showalter
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 20, 2023

How does cloning a story impact metrics differently than just creating the story on its own.  Thank You

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2023

Hi @Jonathan Showalter -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

To which metrics are you referring, and where in Jira are you seeing these metrics?  Knowing that may help the community to offer ideas.

Cloning is just creating an issue by another path, and so I find it unlikely it would do anything regarding built-in reporting.

Kind regards,
Bill

Jonathan Showalter
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 24, 2023

Sorry.  I reread my question and realized how unclear it is.  If I clone a story, do the dates of the original story (i.e. created date) copy over to the new story or do the dates reset to current.

I am a new Jira user so there could be an impact that I'm not aware enough to ask about.

If cloning is just a simple and fast way to make a copy of the title, description, a/c, scrum team, points, feature which are all easily editable then that is great way to save keystrokes.  I just didn't want to clone stories and have something that can't be edited that would skew the age of my stories to be based on the original story and not the new story.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2023

Thanks for clarifying.  When the new issue is created it gets a new "created" date/time.

Like Jonathan Showalter likes this

Suggest an answer