Does anyone know of a way to tell if you are using JIRA Capture?

Michael Trostle September 16, 2019

I am upgrading JIRA from 6.X to 8.X.  I've already run into having to pay for JSU (as it was previously free)....now it's looking like I have to pay for Script Runner (was free, not sure of any good free alternatives) and I have JIRA Capture out there as well....I was able to find where we were using JSU and Script running from an XML export.  Does anyone know how I can tell if JIRA Capture is being used?  I don't want to go down the path of upgrading Prod again and find out I need that as well.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2019

Capture for Jira creates a number of custom fields, you can check to see if anyone has saved any test sessions by looking for issues where Test sessions is not empty.

Capture is a oddball plugin in that most of the functionality is it not actually in jira, it is in the browser plugins that actually do the capturing.

Michael Trostle September 17, 2019

What do you mean by is Test Sessions are not empty?  Is this something I can find from the xml export or are you saying within the DB or ?

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2019

run a JQL query (search for issue)

"Test Sessions" is not EMPTY

Actually checking the other capture fields is a good idea also

"Test sessions" is not empty or "Capture for JIRA Browser" is not empty

If those don't return any issues, then its unlikely that anyone has used it.

Like Michael Trostle likes this
Michael Trostle September 18, 2019

I didn't fully follow at first, but in looking, we did use it, but there is nothing new since mid-last year.  Am I correct that Test Sessions only have to do with Capture for JIRA?  I found no "Capture for JIRA Browser" anywhere...

Thanks for the help/direction!!

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2019

Those Custom fields should have been added when you installed Capture for jira, For you are on an old version, so maybe thats a newer feature. 

Do you have any custom fields of type "Capture for JIRA text"? 

What is the custom field type of "Test Sessions"

Michael Trostle September 19, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 3.43.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-19 at 3.42.13 PM.png

This shows the search I did and 1 old ticket which has a "test session".   We are running Capture for JIRA version 2.8.5 on JIRA Server 6.1 currently.  Been a process to try and upgrade to a recent version.

Michael Trostle September 19, 2019

I also read that in version 2.9, Regarding Custom Fields - these can be attached to the JIRA Issues itself, not for the Test Sessions: apparently, Capture is adding a custom field to associate issue with a Test Session.

Like Andrew Laden likes this
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2019

That explains that. They weren't added till 2.9. 

Like Michael Trostle likes this
0 votes
Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2019

I can suggest a way although it is not 100% correct. All add-ons create database tables that start with AO####-XYZ. For all tables of the add-on, #### part is the same number. So Install Capture for Jira on a jira instance and check which tables it is creating. After that check your production instance for the same tables. After that you can check content of these tables for date fields. 

Suggest an answer