Does anybody know how you prepopulate custom fields in the TestRail push defect Jira plugin?

Jamie Brydges December 9, 2021

Hi, I'm using TestRail with a Jira plugin.  I have some fields in Jira which are required, so i have added these custom fields to the Jira defect plugin in TestRail like this:

[push.fields]

customfield_10408=on

[field.settings.customfield_10408]
label=Expected Results
size=compact
type=text
required=true

The above field is the expected results field in Jira. I want to prepopulate this expected results field in Jira, from my expected results from my test case in test rail, so that  don't have to fill it out each time i want to push a defect to Jira.  Does any body know how to do this?

Thanks,

Jamie.

1 answer

0 votes
Shanu Mandot January 19, 2022

Hello Jamie,

Thanks for your post.

If you configure the field properties correctly to match the field in Jira, you would be able to fill that field when you push a defect and it should populate correctly in Jira.
If you do the same for a dropdown field, it should even populate with values from Jira when defects are pushed.

Please check this out for more details. If you have any additional queries, please let me know or feel free to email our support team directly at contact@gurock.com.

Regards,
Shanu
TestRail Community Manager

Mujtaba Bikhtashi May 5, 2022

Hello @Shanu Mandot !

I have the same issue and I have been trying to fix it but can't get it done, could you please post an example of the issue so I can have more clarity on it.

Best Regards,

Mujtaba

Shanal George May 10, 2022

Hi Shanu,

I am having a similar issue. The field type is matched correctly with my JIRA Project, but the field is not able to populate the drop down menu items.

Here is a snippet of the test rail config:

[field.settings.example]
label=Example
size=compact
remember=false
required=true
type=dropdown

What could I be missing here ?

ASnow April 14, 2023

Doesn’t work for me either. I see the dropdown fields on the Push Defect Page, but the options are empty. They do show up on the results page. I am using testrail cloud with Jira.

Alexandr Artemov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 19, 2023

Hi. Please tell me. I have the same problem. A window opens Push Defect. But I can't open the required dropdown fields. Are you having the same problem?Снимок.JPG

Greta Robichaud
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 11, 2024

In my case, Information in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da0ne1idiHA helped me, check 4:43 timestamp

Suggest an answer