Does Jira Issue Collector work behind a firewall?

Patrick Chen September 17, 2019

Hi, I have a question about Jira Issue Collector.

We have a public facing Confluence Server instance, using it as a knowledgebase. 

It looks like the recommended feedback collection method is to use Jira Isuse Collector. However, our Jira Server instance is internal only to the organization. 

Is this solution non-workable? Is there anything I can do in this situation? Maybe pass the Jira Issue Collector request through an intermediary? 

Any guidance is appreciated

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2019

Hi Patrick,

I see that you are looking to collect some feedback from end users, but that your Jira site is only accessible internally.  In this setup the issue collector won't be able to to collect that feedback.   The issue collector in Jira also has an associated bit of HTML/javascript code that you can embed into your webpage/confluence page.  

The end user's browser will run that javascript code to display such input fields, however when they hit submit, it has an expectation that their client machine can reach the Jira site to post that information. Since your Jira is behind a firewall, the issue collector is not a great solution given this environment.

I would recommend checking out a previous thread on this topic in https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Access-issue-collector-from-WAN-to-JIRA-inside-LAN/qaq-p/18138

In it, Mladen B offers some ideas for how you could potentially make this work with an intermediate page and/or a REST API call.

Alternatively, you could just spin up a new Jira Server site that you could then make public facing.  The starter licenses for Jira are $10 a year, and limited to 10 users, but in this case you could just keep that Jira site just for feedback collection. This way your existing Jira site does not need to be made public just to obtain this feedback. The drawback is really that it would require another Jira site to manage.

I hope you find this helpful.

Andy

Suggest an answer