Does JIRA workflow support Parallel Gateways like BPMN?

psvr May 5, 2013

BPMN stands for Business Process Model and Notation. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BPMN) And in BPMN, there are Parallel Gateways that indicates that after the finish of one job, multiple jobs are triggered at the same time, and when those multiple jobs are ALL finished, some roll-up job is then executed. Is there a similiar construct in JIRA workflows or is JIRA workflows executing all tasks in a linear manner only?

To what extent does JIRA workflow implement features in BPMN? Thanks.

2 answers

2 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2013

You can use subtasks to simulate a parallel gateway.

I don't think that you can automate the creation of the subtasks and the progress of the parent issue if all subtasks are done on an ondemand instance because this has to be scripted (or developed as a plugin).

I don't know about a explicit mapping of BPMN artifacts to JIRA. You can simulate a lot of workflows in JIRA because the JIRA workflow is flexible through conditions, validators and post functions but there is no general mapping for BPMN.

Henning

0 votes
Florian Bauer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2022

Hi @psvr

there is no built-in way that i know. But you can try Flower app to create BPMN workflows in Jira. It supports all different types of gateways like Inclusive, Exclusive and Parallel:

How to create a Flower workflow instance

You may also have a look at differences between Jira and BPMN.

Cheers,

Florian

Suggest an answer