Do 'status changed' JQL queries work for next gen projects?

a.wilkinson1 March 19, 2019

I'm trying to use 'status changed' in a query on a next gen project, and regardless of the rest of the query I always get no results back.

I would expect that..

project = NEXTGEN AND status changed to Done BEFORE now()

would return the same results as...

project = NEXTGEN AND status = "Done"

but they don't. The first query returns nothing, while the second returns what I expect. If I run the query against a classic project then I get the same for both.

Is this intentional, or a bug in next gen projects?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2019

Hello @a.wilkinson1 

History searches seem not to be supported yet in Next-gen projects, as even simple JQLs like

project = api and status was "To Do"

Don't return any result.

While changing the JQL to

project = api and status = "To Do"

Get's me all the issues which I want.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2019

Hello @a.wilkinson1 

If you are satisfied with the answer, please accept/upvote so that others are also helped. thanks!

Zach Ernst September 24, 2019

I am finding the same problem. This query does not work on my next-gen board which is really annoying:

project=MYPROJECT AND status changed TO Done DURING (2019-09-16, 2019-09-20)
Like Jeremy(Jiaji) He likes this
Mike Nowak October 23, 2019

I'm a big fan of historical queries to get me information about the total number of points in a certain stage for a snapshot in time when I need to do some scope analysis. Would much prefer to be able to do these kinds of queries. 

Jeffrey Chongsathien November 20, 2019

Jesus, yet another @#%$@$%# up aspect of Next-Gen

erin December 16, 2019

Why would Jira take this away?  This type of query is very helpful in understanding if you have a lot of rework occurring that could be impacting quality.  

Norma Barr March 3, 2020

Is there any plan to support historical queries, in my case I can specify the during time frame but not to what the status changed

....AND status in (Done, Released) and status changed DURING ("2020/02/21", "2020/03/05")

works

AND status in (Done, Released) and status changed To Done DURING ("2020/02/21", "2020/03/05")

Does not work for next gen

Antoine Emond March 6, 2020

Weirdly when you change the name of your column the "was" works

Jason Dolan May 12, 2020

In our next-gen project, I noticed that historical queries worked for some issues and not for others. After reading this post, I figured out why so thanks Tarun_Sapra for helping! After we examined the history, we found the reason such historical queries worked for some and not for others was that the "some" were imported from a Classic Jira project whereas the "others" we created new within the Next Gen Jira project.

Assuming next gen project do not support historical queries, here are my two issues:

1. I have a next-gen project with what can only be described as inconsistent history which is effectively not just useless but dangerous when applying historical queries.

2. It is unacceptable that Atlassian did not make next-gen users clearly aware of such limitations (ie: when creating a project there is a space to clarify what a next-gen is vs Classic) and also what happens when issues imported into next gen projects from classic projects - historical queries may be incomplete.

Myself and my colleague invested significant time setting up a next-gen project for a business-critical function. We've faced a number of challenges using next gen when compared with the classic project types but believed we overcame them. I have no recollection of Atlassian ever clearly stating that next-gen projects could not be searched with historical JQL ("status was" etc) nor the compromise of importing issues from a Classic project. Had we known, we would have set up a Classic project as I require metrics for senior management requireing historical queries.

While I appreciate some of the simplicity of next gen projects and agree that at some stage, they may have their place, given all their current compromises including this and Atlassian's refusal to keep paying customers informed, I can no longer use them for any scenario at our company (an ISV) nor recommended them until they're sufficiently overhauled. From my perspective, they're toy projects only to be used for simple, forward looking and largely disposable scenarios.

Robert Bono August 10, 2020

I've spent hours trying to understand why my query is wrong - it's not wrong. Atlassian is wrong.

I've tried very, very hard to be a major proponent of Next Gen projects, but this is a bridge too far. This WORKED. Now it's broken, and it's been broken for more than a year.

Why no word from Atlassian on the deficit between Next Gen and Classic? This is a must-have ability that you would NEVER know you didn't have until you needed it. I need historical data about statuses, but because of my idiot decision to trust Atlassian, I can't get it - and based on the lack of response, I doubt I will EVER have the ability to use JQL correctly with Next Gen projects.

I've backed myself into a wall at work going to bat for Next Gen and now I have a doubt so major that it might be time to look away from Jira altogether in favor of a tool that doesn't betray its most needed users like this.

3 votes
Max Tkacz August 17, 2020

Agreeing with sentiments of other users here - each week I'm getting more frustrated with next-gen projects and seemingly complete lack of persona-based needs assessment and functionality.

Suggest an answer