It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Do "Users can invite others" and "Invite URLs" still work?

I created a new cloud instance yesterday to test out some options. 

I'm trying to understand the effect of "Users can invite others" in the "Site access" section of the site admin page. I enabled this option and then invited a basic user to the instance. After logging in as the newly created basic user, I couldn't find any way to invite other users. Where/how does this option take effect?

Additionally, under "INVITE URLS", I see the following:
"An invite link gives any Atlassian account user instant access to your site. Users can copy the link from in-product and share it the way they like."

But there's doesn't seem to be any way to create/view an invite url. Has this option been disabled?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Aug 30, 2019

Hi Ralph,

The invite URL has not been disabled, I will try to clarify these different methods of inviting users in Jira Cloud.

The option of "Users can invite others":

With this option enabled, when non-admin users use the Share function on and issue or a board, the can enter in an email address.  When you do this, you can see that Jira will indicate that this share will be an invite:

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 4.45.08 PM.png

This invite is only available via email.  These users don't have any other means to invite new users to the site.

In regards to the Invite URLs, yes these still work, when you enable these, only site admins have the access to be able to see what these values are:

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 4.56.12 PM.png

And these links regenerate each month, so the link itself doesn't last forever.  Regular, non-site admin users won't be able to see these URLs.   Only site admins can share out what these URLs are for new users to easily sign up.  You can see that each product has it's own URL. 

If you can't see this, and you're a site-admin, I'd be interested to see if perhaps we can create a support case to investigate why you might not be able to create these invite URLs.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the very helpful answer.

I tried out the share function and it worked as you described.

In regards to the invite URLs, as a site admin, all I see is the description text but not the actual URLs as shown in your screenshot.

I tested it out with both Chrome and Firefox and on 2 different Atlassian sites, one created a few days ago and another that is over a year old. same result in all cases.

image.png

Thanks again for you help,

Ralph

Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Sep 03, 2019

Hi @Ralph Maalouf 

I would like to create a support case with our Cloud support team, so that we can investigate this problem further.  However, I am unsure which cloud site you are seeing this on.  I can see a few different sites where your account appears to have site-admin access to. If I can figure out which of these specific sites show this problem we can create this support case for you.

Alternatively, you can create this support case yourself by going to

1. https://support.atlassian.com/contact
  2. Select Technical issues and bugs
  3. Choose Jira, then Cloud
  4. Enter in your site URL example.atlassian.net for example
  5. You can then fill out some details of that form so that our Cloud support team can take a closer look to see if perhaps there is something wrong with the environment here.

Since you mentioned already trying another browser, perhaps there is something wrong with the site itself.  I have not been able to recreate this problem so far, but I'd like to see how we can investigate this deeper.

Andy

Hi @Andy Heinzer

Thanks for getting back to me.

For the site "rmaalouf" that I created a bit more than a week ago (which I no longer have access to since the free trial has expired), the option to enable invite URLs doesn't show up (as per my screenshot above).

I created a new site today called "rmaalouf1" and the invite URLs do show up.

As you noted, I also have site-amin privileges for 2 other sites, one that is a few years old, for which the option to enable invite URLs does show up, and another that is over a year old, for which the option doesn't show up.

In regards to "Users can invite others", it seems like even when this option is disabled, I was still able to have a basic user (i.e. confluence-users and jira-software-users groups only), successfully use the share function to invite another user. This worked both from my newly created rmaalouf1 site and another site created a bit over a year ago. 

Here are the steps:

• Created a brand new Atlassian Cloud instance "rmaalouf1"
  • Left all the default options ("Users can invite others" is unchecked)
  • Invited a new basic user (no additional groups added) from the admin panel
  • Signed up and logged in as the newly created basic user
  • As the new user, created an issue in the default project I created during site creation
  • As the new user, used the "share" function in the issue to invite a new email address
  • Received the email and successfully signed up and viewed the issue as the (second) new user. This new user is only part of "jira-software-users" group.

Never mind about the last part of my previous post. It turns out that even though I had "Users can invite others" unchecked, I did add "gmail.com" to "Anyone with one of the following email address domains can join". And the email that I invited was gmail.

I didn't realize that allowing a domain also modified the behavior of the "Share" function by allowing the "Access requests" step to be bypassed.

Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Sep 04, 2019

Hi Ralph,

It very well might be that because these were expired trial cloud sites, that many functional feature get turned off, including invitations to the site.  Which makes sense since it would probably be a really bad experience to invite users to a site that isn't functional.   My understanding about expired trials is that there can be a brief window where the site is still reachable, but this is typically only so that a site-admin can create a backup of the data there.  The Data storage FAQ has more info about the timetables used for when Atlassian deletes data on expired Cloud sites.

If you have a Cloud site that is still in the evaluation period or that has an active subscription that is still having problems with the invitation links not working, I would still recommend creating a support case in our Support Contact portal as mentioned above.  It's important that you select the specific Cloud URL where this is happening when creating that support case so that our support team can better help here.

Otherwise it seems likely that these expired sites don't have an expectation to let you invite new users to them.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Per your recommendation I will create a support a case since this is happening on both a Cloud site still in evaluation as well as another site with an active subscription.

Thanks again for being very helpful.

Ralph

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

865 views 6 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you