Do not display sub-tasks in a Kanban board when the parent issue is still in the Kanban Backlog

long_suciu April 25, 2023

Here's the outcome that I would like to achieve:

• In jira using Kanban, I do not want sub-tasks to appear on the Kanban board if the parent issue of the sub-task is in the Kanban Backlog.

Currently, sub-tasks are displaying on the Kanban board although the parent ticket is not displaying on the Kanban board.  

It is intentional that the parent is not displayed on the board since the parent is in a status that is used for the Kanban Backlog.

Since we do not want to display the parent in the Kanban board, we want this to also apply to the sub-task.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Long

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

Hello @long_suciu 

Are these issues in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? I suspect the latter. That information will be shown at the bottom of the navigation pane on the left.

The subtasks display on the board because they are getting set to a status that is mapped to a board column rather than a status mapped to the Backlog. If you don't want the tasks on the board, then don't change their status to one that is mapped to a board column.

You could create a workflow specifically for Subtask type issues. In that workflow you could add Validators to the transitions to later statuses so that a check of the Parent issue status will be executed. The users could attempt to transition the Subtask, but if the Parent issue wasn't in an acceptable status then they would get an error message and the transition would not be completed.

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 12.38.08 AM.png

Alternately if you have, or are willing to acquire, a third party app your could then create a workflow for Subtask type issues and set a Condition to prevent the transitions to later statuses from being available if the parent issue was still in the status mapped to the Backlog.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hello @long_suciu 

Did the answers provided help you address your requirement? If so, please consider marking the helpful answer(s) as Accepted to help other users find posts with validated solutions.

Daniel Barta September 13, 2023

I understand there are other ways to do it but what OP wanted to do:

• In jira using Kanban, I do not want sub-tasks to appear on the Kanban board if the parent issue of the sub-task is in the Kanban Backlog.

makes lots of sense and there should be a way to do that filtering via JQL.

0 votes
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2023

Hi @long_suciu 

Have you tried setting up "Quick Filters" which will let you further filter the collection of issues appearing on your Kanban board. This way you can hide sub tasks per your requirement. Please refer steps here - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-quick-filters/

long_suciu May 4, 2023

Thanks for the suggestion.  I do have a quick filter to hide subtasks but this is a scenario of which I do not want to see sub-tasks of a parent ticket that is not on the board.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events