Do JIRA ticket numbers ever repeat?

Lauren Hale October 27, 2017

Is it possible for JIRA ticket numbers to ever repeat, or be used again in subsequent tickets? We use them as unique identifiers but cannot do so if they do in fact repeat ever. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2017

Hi Lauren,

The ticket numbers don't repeat. Even when an issue is deleted, the number will not be reused.

Lauren Hale October 30, 2017

Thank you. Is it possible for JIRA numbers to ever run out, or are they infinite?

edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2017

Yes it is possible, but i'm sure it is a very very large number. I have not ran into a situation where that was an issue.

Thank you. Do you know what the limit is for JIRA numbers at the point which they run out?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2017

I've run across code that would limit them to roughly 2.1 billion per project, even though the storage in the database could go higher.

You will hit other problems well before you run out of numbers!

Thank you both!

Suggest an answer