Do Connect App webhooks created with a descriptor need to be refreshed?

sime_vukasovic August 16, 2022

In a Connect App, are webhooks registered through REST API and through the atlassian-connect.json descriptor fundamentally different?

When I request registered webhooks with GET /rest/api/latest/webhook I never get webhooks that I registered through a descriptor.

I am doing this because of the assumption that Connect App webhooks must be refreshed every 30 days and I want to refresh those described in the descriptor.

Do descriptor webhooks need to be refreshed or are they more like the "install", "uninstall", "enable", and "disable" events that are, and I quote, essentially webhooks?

2 answers

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2023

I know this is an old thread but, in case anyone will find it in the future:

The webhooks registered in the app descriptor are different to the ones registered through the API.

Webhooks like create page in Confluence or create issue in Jira are registered through the REST API and need to be refreshed as they are referred to as beng dynamic webhooks. You can use the Extend webhook life REST API to add extra time to the life of the webhook.

The webhooks registered in atlassian-connect.json for app lifecycle do not need to be re-registered every 30 days. Are they are a different part of the system, they also are not returned via GET /rest/api/3/webhook.

If you need to refresh the webhooks in the descriptor (that is, change them) then you need to release a new version of your app on Marketplace or, for a private app, re-install the app.

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2022

The webhooks created via REST API and the one from the add-on descriptor are basically the same thing. It is just the different ways of registering it. To refresh it, you can call this endpoint.

sime_vukasovic August 17, 2022

That endpoint is my exact problem. In order to refresh the descriptor webhook I need its ID, which I can't get with the endpoint which returns all of the registered webhooks. I don't know why, or if it's a bug, but the descriptor webhook just isn't one of the returned ones.

I would happily register all of my webhooks via REST API but REST API webhooks don't support project events, descriptor ones do.

Descriptor webhooks also don't require the webhook to be tied to a specific JQL filter, which is what I need.

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2022

Probably you can ask more about this from https://developer.atlassian.com/support 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events