Displaying the Parent Issue for a Sub-task on the Issues View

Chris Olofson April 24, 2016

In the Issues view, I'd like to configure a column to display the Parent Issue of a sub-task displayed.

In the Summary column, JIRA embeds a hyperlink to the Parent Issue, but I'm actually seeking a freestanding column to export to Excel which would only contain the Parent Issue (of a sub-task) or be blank (if the row contains a freestanding issue).

The columns drop-down doesn't offer a choice for "Parent", "Parent Issue" or something similar.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
William Rojas (Black Diamond) May 4, 2016

You can do this by setting up the a post function: Copy Value from Other Field (from JIRA Suite Utilities) to copy the issuekey from the parent to the sub-task.  This post function would be part of the Create Issue transition of the sub-task workflow. You'd need a custom field in the sub-task to hold the parent key value. 

Alis-Hathway Ward (DO NOT USE) June 11, 2020

This was helpful! Do you know if we can use the Parent link field for this? I kind of want to map Key to Parent Link?

1 vote
Kristie Parnell February 12, 2021

While I am not able to purchase the plug-in, I was able to solve this visibility issue for my team

"How can I see the work assigned to me in the sprint when we use generic sub-tasks, and still see the (parent) Issue description."

Solution:

- Using My Dashboard

- Filter to display the sub-tasks,

- then add the "Parent" to display.

This way my team can see the work assigned to them and see the Summary title of the issue.  I imagine you could apply this to any dashboard as needed.

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2016

I have been trying to figure this out myself. I really would like to have something similar to the way Epics work. In my dashboards I display filtered list that include a number of issues associated w/ Epics. In the Filter Results gadget I add "Epic Link" to the list of columns allowing me to sort by Epic resulting in a nice organization for my issues. Example:

InSyte_-_JIRA.jpg

Unfortunately the Epic Link will be blank for sub-tasks as they inherit from parent but do not display (crazy IMO) so I can't even use epic much less 'parent'. My research has not turned up anything yet but will watch this question and will provide anything I find.

Suggest an answer