Displaying System-Defined Custom Fields When Viewing Issues

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2012

This seems like an awfully elementary question, but I cannot seem to figure it out.

I'd like to display the value of a custom field when viewing the details of an issue. This field is set by a post function and never by a user. As such, I never want it to be a value on a screen for a user to modify. By the looks of Atlassian's documentation, it looks like it must be part of a screen to be viewable (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Field):

Select a screen, or screen tab, on which to display your newly created custom field. You must associate a field with a screen before it will be displayed. New fields will be added to the end of a tab.

So how do I get this system-set value displayed?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2012

You can add it just on the view screen and not create/edit screens. That way you can see the value but the users won't be able to change it.

See screen schemes on how to do this.

Suggest an answer