Display ranking on backlog

Rachael Gresham April 25, 2022

I think I might be missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how to add the ranking field to my backlog view, nor to my sprint board. The field is enabled in the issue context fields list, but seems to be only viewable when I'm in the full issue view or the filter view I created. I can't seem to add this field to any other views.

2 answers

0 votes
Olaf Kosel September 28, 2022

Hi @Rachael Gresham, it seams you found a workaround for displaying the backlog rank position by using a custom field. Can you share this workaround please?

Thanks Olaf

P.S: Atlassian doesn't plan to implement a product solution for this use case :-/ -> JSWCLOUD-15444

Rachael Gresham September 28, 2022

Hello @Olaf Kosel ,

The only way I was able to get this to work was by using a custom filter. I am still unable to display the ranking on the backlog view and the sprint board. In the custom filter I set up my criteria and then used "ORDER BY cf[10835]" which is the field ID for the ranking field. Here is a screenshot:

Jira filter.jpg

I would prefer to have the ranking field available in any view that displays the list of issues, but this filter is the only way I've been able to find that accomplishes this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2022

Is that field being calculated from the actual rank field?

Rachael Gresham September 28, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  No, it's a custom field we use to manually enter the business user ranking when setting priorities. We've set the field to default to the value 50 to indicate the issue has not yet been reviewed, and when we review the issues with our business users they determine the priority and we update the value in this field accordingly.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2022

Thanks!  I was curious as to whether it was a real rank field, or just a rating field (not a criticism - rating type fields are a good way to help prioritisation and feed into ranking if you're using it.  I was curious if you had done it the way I have - written scripted fields that convert the rank to a simple number so they can be displayed and sorted)

Thanks for this quick answer @Rachael Gresham ! @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, can you share your automated approach by calculating and displaying a rank value? ... I guess you have used ScriptRunner?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2022

Yep, that's exactly how I did it.

Specifically a scripted field with a numeric template and number-range searcher, and a script that took the lexorank values and converted the text with a primitive algorithm.  It's not pretty, but at least it's sortable and comparable.  And visible.

Hey cool, we use Jira-Cloud meanwhile, but this should be no problem hopefully. I'll check if we already use/ bought ScriptRunner for the cloud. How much is your script ;-) ? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2022

The script would have no cost, but it was for DC/server, so it's not workable on Cloud, you would need a different approach.

I'm sure SR for Cloud can still do it, but my server script won't help you much.  Start at https://docs.adaptavist.com/sr4jc/latest/features/scripted-fields

Like Olaf Kosel likes this
0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2022

Hi @Rachael Gresham 

That seems correct that the built-in Rank field cannot be added to the board or backlog views, and...I wonder: what problem you are trying to solve by displaying it?

The Rank field contains the Lexorank value and is not very human-friendly to determine ordering of issues.

Kind regards,
Bill

Rachael Gresham April 25, 2022

There seems to be two fields; one is Rank, and that appears to be the non human-friendly version. The other field is Ranking, and this is numerical. My hope is to work with my business users to Rank the issues, so my team knows which order to work them in.

jira rank.jpg

If there is another way to accomplish this, I'm definitely interested. Thank you!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2022

Thanks for clarifying, Rachael.

The Ranking field appears to be a custom field, and if your site admin added it the field should be possible to add on the backlog and board (cards) views.

If you are using a Company-managed project, the project admin can add the field by selecting ... > board settings > card layout 

Jeff Dworkin December 7, 2022

To use the Jira tickets own rank field to have it work correctly in generated Backlog views, you need to add the clause "ORDER BY Rank ASC" to your JQL with no other order by clauses.  This will then make the Rank attribute available on the boards 'issue detail view'
rankinjiraview.png

Suggest an answer