Display project completion rate measured in story points

Slava Fomin II June 11, 2017

Hello!

Consider I have issues in my JIRA project. Some issues are resolved, some are not. Each issue has a complexity value (integer number) assosiated with it (I'm using Story Points for this).

I want to display overall project completion measured in those points, preferrably using Pie Chart diagram.

For example, if I have two issues, one complete with 5 points and one incomplete with 2 points, the completion rate should be: 71%.

Is it possible to do so?

Thank you.

2 answers

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2017

Hello Slava,

As you have mentioned in your question -

"I want to display overall project completion measured in those points, preferrably using Pie Chart diagram."

Pie-charts are used for displaying categorization around stats like "assignee", iossueTypes" etc. I am not sure how the pie-chatr would be able to display project progress.

For the second part - 

"For example, if I have two issues, one complete with 5 points and one incomplete with 2 points, the completion rate should be: 71%."

Yes, it's possible using the "Potfolio" plugin/add-on of JIRA. I am using that to split the ongoing project in multiple phase and call each phase an Business Initiative and add Epics and stories under the initiative and now in the portfolio you can easy see the progress in terms of "percentage" when you hover over an intiative.

It's also helpful for top management team to have an bird's eye view of each and every project and instead trying of see the burndown chatr of every sprint and then calculate overaal progress. 

Regards,

Tarun

Slava Fomin II June 13, 2017

Thank you Tarun, it looks like a useful add-on. How much does it cost, by the way? I can't see the pricing due to the error: Sorry, we couldn't load pricing details right now. Please try again later.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2017

How much does Portfolio for JIRA Cloud cost?

Portfolio for JIRA is a JIRA Software add on. Your Portfolio for JIRA user tier must match your JIRA Software Cloud subscription user tier. For instance, a 25 User JIRA Software Cloud instance will require a 25 User Portfolio for JIRA cloud subscription.

Users Portfolio for JIRA Cloud Monthly Portfolio for JIRA Cloud Annual
1-10 US $10 US $120
11-15 US $35 US $420
16-25 US $75 US $900
26-50 US $150 US $1,800
51-100 US $225 US $2,700
101-500 US $750 US $9,000
501-2,000 US $2,000 US $24,000

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2017

Thanks Tarun! However, after playing a bit with Potfolio it looks too complicated and requires a lot of involvment to achieve my simple use case. I would prefer a more simple solution.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2017

Yes, Portfolio has a learning curve, thus my suggestion would be to see the "Epic panel" in the scrum board, each epic on the Epic panel contains progress bar for the stories in terms of story points.

Thanks, this actually works great! I will just have to assign story points to all my issues and set an epic for them.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2017

Good to hear, please accept / upvote the answer if it works fine for you. Thanks!

0 votes
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2017

Hi Slava,

I'm not sure if standard JIRA features allow you to get that percentage. If you take add-ons into consideration, you can check out Structure, which can calculate exactly what you need with highly configurable Progress column.

See the documentation with screenshots and examples here: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/QbDrAQ

Note that you'll need to create a structure that contains your issues and groups them together somehow. This can be done manually (you can use folders to group issues together and see the % progress for folders), or use Automation and build structures from JQL and groupings.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Igor

Disclosure: I work for the company behind Structure add-on.

Thank you for a suggestion Igor! It looks promising, but we are using JIRA Cloud and it looks like Structure can't be used in the cloud (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2017

Oh, right! Sorry about that. Indeed, Structure is not yet available for JIRA Cloud.

Suggest an answer