Display custom date fields in a query

Ivory Barnes April 24, 2014

I am trying to display a custom date field in a query. Issue Navigator will allow me to select the field, but it will not display in the results.

4 answers

0 votes
Ivory Barnes April 30, 2014

I resolved the issue by addressing the field in the Query Needed by date is not empty. Once the query was working and the field displayed. I removed the field from the query and the field continue to disply in the results

0 votes

The one you suggested

To test this, pick an issue that does definitely have a "needed by datE" value. Let's say issue ABC-123. Then, run the search "key = ABC-123", and check that the column appears. Next, go back to your original query without the date bit, and try adding the clause "AND issuetype = X" (where X is the issue type of ABC-123). I think you'll find the date appears.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2014

Oh, that sounds like your query includes the possibility of returning issues where the field is not valid. Note - not "empty" - those are fine, but not "having a context for this project/issuetype"

If you do that, Jira will silently drop the column from your results.

To test this, pick an issue that does definitely have a "needed by datE" value. Let's say issue ABC-123. Then, run the search "key = ABC-123", and check that the column appears. Next, go back to your original query without the date bit, and try adding the clause "AND issuetype = X" (where X is the issue type of ABC-123). I think you'll find the date appears.

The date field is a required field, so all the Issue have a date. But I did just notice the format of the date is MM/DD/YY, it does not include the time. I selected another custom date field where the format is date and Time and I am not having the issue. So I am thinking not having the Time in the field is causing the field to appear "invalid"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2014

Mmm, I would not expect that to be the problem here.

If it's the field visibility as I expect, then the field being mandatory is completely irrelevant, because it effectively doesn't exist. Could you try the test I suggested to rule out my theory?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2014

Ah, good.

That actually tells us that I'm probably right. Jira is (frustratingly) dropping the column from your original filter because you are including the possibility of issue types that do not have the field at all.

The fix here is either

1. Run separate filters - one with the issues that have the field, and a second for issues that do not

2. Change the field context so that it is across all the issues you have in the affected projects. (You can then use screens to drop the fields off the issues)

This is a really annoying design flaw in Jira and much as I applaud Atlassian for all sorts of things, they've been really bad on this one. It needs fixing and has done for years, and we've had nothing but poor excuses.

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2014

Hello Ivory,

what is your JIRA version. Btw, did u try to run search again after adding your custom field to the issue navigator?

Hope this helps,

Fabio

JIRA 5.2. Yes I have tried that. The field will display only if I include it in the query. Example project = "System Support Credit Online Tran System" will not display the field. If I run this query it will display project = "System Support Credit Online Tran System" AND ("Needed by Date" is not EMPTY or "Needed by Date" is EMPTY)

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2014

Hello Ivory,

just to be sure, could u perform a reindexing first?

Regards,

Fabio

I did a reindex, and tried the test. The test does work.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2014

What test have you done? What works?

Suggest an answer