Display custom date fields in a query

I am trying to display a custom date field in a query. Issue Navigator will allow me to select the field, but it will not display in the results.

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hello Ivory,

what is your JIRA version. Btw, did u try to run search again after adding your custom field to the issue navigator?

Hope this helps,

Fabio

JIRA 5.2. Yes I have tried that. The field will display only if I include it in the query. Example project = "System Support Credit Online Tran System" will not display the field. If I run this query it will display project = "System Support Credit Online Tran System" AND ("Needed by Date" is not EMPTY or "Needed by Date" is EMPTY)

Hello Ivory,

just to be sure, could u perform a reindexing first?

Regards,

Fabio

I did a reindex, and tried the test. The test does work.

What test have you done? What works?

Oh, that sounds like your query includes the possibility of returning issues where the field is not valid. Note - not "empty" - those are fine, but not "having a context for this project/issuetype"

If you do that, Jira will silently drop the column from your results.

To test this, pick an issue that does definitely have a "needed by datE" value. Let's say issue ABC-123. Then, run the search "key = ABC-123", and check that the column appears. Next, go back to your original query without the date bit, and try adding the clause "AND issuetype = X" (where X is the issue type of ABC-123). I think you'll find the date appears.

The date field is a required field, so all the Issue have a date. But I did just notice the format of the date is MM/DD/YY, it does not include the time. I selected another custom date field where the format is date and Time and I am not having the issue. So I am thinking not having the Time in the field is causing the field to appear "invalid"

Mmm, I would not expect that to be the problem here.

If it's the field visibility as I expect, then the field being mandatory is completely irrelevant, because it effectively doesn't exist. Could you try the test I suggested to rule out my theory?

Ah, good.

That actually tells us that I'm probably right. Jira is (frustratingly) dropping the column from your original filter because you are including the possibility of issue types that do not have the field at all.

The fix here is either

1. Run separate filters - one with the issues that have the field, and a second for issues that do not

2. Change the field context so that it is across all the issues you have in the affected projects. (You can then use screens to drop the fields off the issues)

This is a really annoying design flaw in Jira and much as I applaud Atlassian for all sorts of things, they've been really bad on this one. It needs fixing and has done for years, and we've had nothing but poor excuses.

The one you suggested

To test this, pick an issue that does definitely have a "needed by datE" value. Let's say issue ABC-123. Then, run the search "key = ABC-123", and check that the column appears. Next, go back to your original query without the date bit, and try adding the clause "AND issuetype = X" (where X is the issue type of ABC-123). I think you'll find the date appears.

I resolved the issue by addressing the field in the Query Needed by date is not empty. Once the query was working and the field displayed. I removed the field from the query and the field continue to disply in the results

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

280 views 1 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you