Display Sub-Tasks linked to an epic

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Why do subtasks disappear when I filter my board using Epic Links

Is there any JQL workaround to allow the display of all the sub-tasks of an epic, and not only the issues? I don't have any add-on. 

2 answers

The issues that display on a board are determined by 1) the saved filter and 2) the mapped statuses.  If you are querying by epic-link, only parent issues will be displayed since sub-tasks are not linked to epics.

You will need to tweak your filter to include sub-tasks.  Easiest way is to have the filter query all issues in a project.  If that is not the case, you will need to get creative - use the built-in JQL functions with Scriptrunner (if you have JIRA Server) to query sub-tasks linked to parents.

Hi Andrea, 

Thanks a lot for your answer. 

We indeed have an item workflow that works as follow : Epic --> Issues (Tasks) --> Sub-Tasks 

There is unfortunately no way for us to use only the Issues items and to reflect the relationship between our items in a satisfying way. 

Would you know free add-on that would open the same functionality than Scriptrunner? I would like to test out if JQL functions would fit what we are trying to achieve before starting to add costs. 

Thanks a lot for your help. 

Jack Brickey Community Champion Aug 11, 2016

the only way i have found to do this (cloud version) is using labels. so my filter looks something like this....

"Epic Link" = proj-111 OR labels = proj111

where:

proj-111 is the JIRA issue # for the epic and proj111 is a label i place on all sub tasks. obviously this is flawed if and sub-tasks are missing the label. 

it continues to frustrate me that i can't have something like...

"Epic Link" in (proj-111) OR parent in (Epic Link = proj-111)

or maybe adding a new operator to JIRA like...

"Epic Link" in (proj-111) INCLUDE Sub-Tasks

In my case I use AM Utils (free add-on) to search all issues and subtasks on it:

A simple example:

issuekey in (issuesSubtasks("'Epic Link' = XXX-99")) ORDER BY Rank ASC

With this I can make boards that swinlanes with stories or projects besides the Epic Link. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,080 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot