Display Full Parent Tree in Story Issue

Robert W_ Olsen December 24, 2020

Is there a way to display the entire parent tree in a Story Issue?  A customer would like to display the following in their stories:

Epic:

Capability:

Initiative:

I know that Epic Link contains the link to the Epic, but can I traverse the Link to the Epic and get the Capability parent link and then traverse that link and get the Initiative parent link and then display all of them in the Story?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 25, 2020

Hi @Robert W_ Olsen 

No without an app. You can try Structure app which has exactly this feature where you can display the position of the current issue in the entire hierarchy and of course much more.

Ravi

Robert W_ Olsen December 26, 2020

Thanks Ravi.  We have the Structure app and that will work for displaying these links within the structure, but the customer was looking for us to display them as Custom Fields on the Story/Bug issue screen.  So I was hoping to create something like:

Initiative Parent Link:

Capability Parent Link:

Epic Parent Link:

And these would display under the "Fix Version/s" field.

Is there any way to do this?  I know from each Issue Type, I can create a Custom Field and display the Parent Link there, but trying to figure out how to bring all of that info down and display all of the links on the associated Story/Bug screen.

Does that make sense?

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2020

You should be able to do that using ScriptRunner. You can create a web panel or a scripted field to display such information.

Like Robert W_ Olsen likes this
Robert W_ Olsen December 26, 2020

That's what I have been trying to do.  I am pretty new to ScriptRunner and learn by example.  Do you have an example of how I go about pulling down the Initiative link from the Capability with ScriptRunner?  I have searched on line but apparently I am not searching with the right question because my searches are turning up with nothing helpful.

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 26, 2020

You will find lot of examples here.

Like Robert W_ Olsen likes this
Robert W_ Olsen December 28, 2020

Ravi, again thanks for your help but my searches and test scripts have been fruitless.  I cannot figure out how to capture the links of both Capability and Initiative from a "Story" level.  I can capture the Epic Link with no problem, but unable to traverse up the chain to the Epic and get the parent Capability link and then from there traverse up the Capability link and get the Initiative parent link and then display all three links in the Story screen.

I am about to get with the customer and tell them that it cannot be done and just to use a Structure to display all of the link info.

Any last minute ideas or sample code to capture "parent of a parent" links?

Suggest an answer