Disabling analytics information sharing - where to change settings?

Jay Kantaria November 12, 2018

This site defines how to disable Disable analytics information:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/upm/configuring-marketplace-connectivity-306350947.html#ConfiguringMarketplaceconnectivity-infocollected

It talks about adding  "atlassian.upm.server.data.disable=true".

I tried adding this to setenv.sh at JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS=""

But Jira would not start properly.  Is this the right place to add this option?  Please provide detailed steps on where to add this setting.

Jira Data Center 7.10.2/Unix

Thanks,

Jay

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 14, 2018

Hi Jay,

I'm afraid that this UPM documentation isn't really clear enough for how to exactly do this in Jira.  It might be that this is by design since the UPM can be used in different Atlassian products, like confluence, bitbucket, etc.  In turn the steps in each program could be slightly different in regards to how to make this change.

For the Java startup options in Jira, I believe that these Atlassian settings have to be prefixed with the sting '-D' (without quotes).  So you should be able to make your

JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS="-Datlassian.upm.server.data.disable=true"

Alternative to using that place to set this, I was also able to set this value in the jira-config.properties file which you can create in the $JIRAHOME/ directory.   Details on how to do this are explained in more details in How to edit the jira-config.properties file.  If you use this method, you will likely have to create this file yourself as this does not exist by default.  But this is just a text file that Jira will look at for application properties like this one at startup.  If you use this method to set this property, the syntax would be just

atlassian.upm.server.data.disable=true

I hope this helps.

Andy

Jay Kantaria November 15, 2018

Thank you for your input on Jira configuration. 

Would happen to know file and location o make the similar changes for BitBucket?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2018

I am not certain if this can be set in a config file for Bitbucket, but perhaps the bitbucket.properties file might be able to do this.  If not, you could also check out the document on Collecting analytics for Bitbucket Server, which appears to indicate that you can disable this from within Bitbucket if you choose.

Michael Aglas November 29, 2021

How can I verify it has been disabled?

Suggest an answer