Disable email notifications as an end user

protiod August 18, 2014

I am constantly getting email spam from JIRA projects. I have no control of the project, and I have no way of asking the owner of the project to disable email notifications from being sent to me. Is there a way to disable email notifications to my email, without being the owner of a project or being able to contact the owner of the project? I would rather not have to block the email, because important emails may be sent to be from the same email that is sending me the spam. I do not want to be sent updates every time something gets posted to the project.

4 answers

1 vote
Aaron Bramson May 3, 2016

Obviously David is correct, this should obviously be a user-level setting.  Each user should obviously be able to decide for themselves whether they want email notifications for different kinds of events.  Atlassian is clearly negligent in failing to provide this basic capability that is so obviously desirable.  Obviously. 

1 vote
David Rees September 27, 2014

I really would like to be able to watch items without getting emails for them. That should be a user-level setting.

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2014

I don't think you have that option as an end user. Only JIRA admin can modify notifications.

If you want workarounds:

1. You can modify your email address as an end user. Go to Profile>edit and update your email to a dummy email address. But all notifications will be also affected.
  2. You can create a rule in your mail app and delete emails with specific JIRA ID or content.

Hope that helps,

Mehmet

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2014

No, the user can't control this. It is done in the notification scheme. Are these issues you created or worked on? Could someone be making you, or a group you belong to a 'watcher' of all these issues? Most notification schemes send updates to watchers, assignee, and the reporter. Some will send notifications to other user for special events like resolving, closing, or reopening. Talk to an administrator and they should be able to figure out why you're getting them. The project admin doesn't control notification schemes.

Suggest an answer