Disable an issue type and keep issue with the disabled issue type

Joe Torres Developer February 13, 2018

Looking to disable an issue type.  I don't want to convert already created issues to another issue type.  I want to restrict an issue type on the create page.

thank you

Joe

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2018

There are a couple of related questions about this. Some has some creative workarounds. The main crux of the issue is that there are no permissions for issue types.

Take a look at :

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Restricting-issue-creation-of-certain-types-based-on-user/qaq-p/32785

and

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-set-permission-on-issues-creation-by-issue-type/qaq-p/248799

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2018

... and no "disable" functions.  If you want to remove an issue type from a project, you have to convert the issues of that type to another (or move them out of the project).  If you want to keep them, but stop people creating more, then, what Daniel said.

Madhu Reddy January 9, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , @Daniel Wester

We can stop User groups from creating the issues, But users can move issues to issue type.

Is there a way to stop moving issues to particular type. Thanks in Advance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2020

No, there's no way to do that.

CAO Ngoc Tan January 4, 2021

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

If I delete an issue type, is there any impact on the tickets created with that such issue type ?

Thanks in advance.

Tan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2021

Yes, as above - you have to change them to an issue type that is not going to be removed.

Daniel Brvnišťan April 28, 2021

Is there a feature request for this that I could vote for?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2021

There have been several, but Atlassian shut them all down as "won't do", due to lack of interest.

Like Daniel Brvnišťan likes this
0 votes
Laci Kremer August 12, 2022

All you can do is to halt the ticket creation on the create screen. If you add a validator that always fails, will do the job.

I'd use a Field required validator that checks a built in filed that is not visible on the create screen becuase

- it is built in, not add-on supported so it won't pass when you uninstall an addon/the addon fails

- buil-in filed will not fail as it is not addon provided

- the Field required validator is able to display an error message like "This ticket type is not to be used"

Con

- dirty

- ticket type is still selectable

- the user can lose time with filling the fields and then failing to create the ticket

- users can go around and move tickets to this ticket type

It is sad that Atlassian is not implementing this. Change management, retiring objects in JIRA is painful without handling Active/Obsolete/Disabled.

Suggest an answer