Looking to disable an issue type. I don't want to convert already created issues to another issue type. I want to restrict an issue type on the create page.
There are a couple of related questions about this. Some has some creative workarounds. The main crux of the issue is that there are no permissions for issue types.
Take a look at :
... and no "disable" functions. If you want to remove an issue type from a project, you have to convert the issues of that type to another (or move them out of the project). If you want to keep them, but stop people creating more, then, what Daniel said.
All you can do is to halt the ticket creation on the create screen. If you add a validator that always fails, will do the job.
I'd use a Field required validator that checks a built in filed that is not visible on the create screen becuase
- it is built in, not add-on supported so it won't pass when you uninstall an addon/the addon fails
- buil-in filed will not fail as it is not addon provided
- the Field required validator is able to display an error message like "This ticket type is not to be used"
- ticket type is still selectable
- the user can lose time with filling the fields and then failing to create the ticket
- users can go around and move tickets to this ticket type
It is sad that Atlassian is not implementing this. Change management, retiring objects in JIRA is painful without handling Active/Obsolete/Disabled.