Differentiate between admin and non-admin users

shyamala chandrasekaran December 18, 2020

I have a requirement to auto logout users, with the logout time being different for Admin and Non-Admin users.

I know there is no inbuilt funtionality in Jira to auto logout users.

But is there a way to identify admin vs non-admin users and maybe display a popup that their session is about to be end ?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2020

Given the very specific requirements I think you would be looking at some plugin development. If you really need to differentiate between admin and non-admin users you would need to involve some API to get that information from the application. Then you would also require to somehow terminate their sessions, I imagine there should be something in the API for that as well, although probably quite difficult to find any examples of.

Second is the "pop-up", if a user is active, why would they get a pop-up that their session is about to end? They are using the tool, on principle, every action they do in the tool their session gets "extended", they will lose it only after they are already inactive for some time. So if you really do need to log them out even despite them using the tool, then I imagine you would have to track their sessions based on their last login date.

I've never heard of any existing plugin that would prematurely terminate a user session, but I suppose it's not a who thinks what but rather how you'd get there, just my opinion this might be a tad more difficult than whoever came up with this requirement may think. I hope that someone may provide you a better suggestion than me, but from my perspective this smells of blood and sweat in plugin development.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

Nothing in the UI will do this, but the API is simple enough for a spot of coding:

Read list of groups who have System admin

Read list of groups who have Jira admin

Check if user is in at least one of the groups

However, there's not a lot you can do with this unless you were to rewrite the code that handles the session, giving it the functionality to behave differently depending on the result of your coding above.

Suggest an answer