Different styling for resolved and closed issues

Karol Sójko November 14, 2012

I have a greenhopper board where there is a DONE (Resolved status) column, a TEST (In Testing status) column and a READY-FOR-DEPLOY (Closed status) column.

Once an issue gets resolved it get's a style where it is crossed out (this representation is everywhere the same). The problem is that an issue which is closed has identical visual representation. So if I have a list with all the issues and some of them are closed and some of them are resolved - I cannot really differentiate which ones are which. Can I somewhere change the styling of the closed issue to f.e. being grayed out ?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bastiaan Jansen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2012

Hello Karol,

The strikethrough formatting is currently not configurable for Jira users, although the issue has been raised already in feature requests. You might want to take a look at these tickets: JRA-7211 and GHS-4688. The comments in the first one, especially, contain a lot of useful information over currently available workarounds. I also encourage you to watch and vote for the issues to support development and implementation of the improvement. However, as of now no time has been determined for its release.

2 votes
Chris McFadden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2012

What we did to solve this same situation is to not use the Resolved status, but instead to use "Dev Complete". We only set the resolution on Ready for Deploy status update - since our definition of "Done" is that testing is complete. Obviously this requires a custom workflow.

This does help in a way but it does not change the fact that the issues with status resolved and closed have the same styling. I would like to leave the workflow as is.

1 vote
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2012

you can change the cards color for any resolution (using jql query) or status in Board Configuration.

see attached screen for example

This is ok for the board itself but when I a list of issues (f.e. search or test session related issues) then I won't see the card colours - only the status styling.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012

ok tell me exactly what goal you want to reach. maybe missunderstood your request

For example I've got a filter for issues or I have a list of related issues on a test session. All of them are line-through on the names. And I can't know without actually going into them which ones are resolved and which ones are closed. They all look the same. Looking at te CSS classes they all have the same class - I think they should be different as they represent a different state. Maybe it's a request for change ?

0 votes
Tomasz Brudzinski July 9, 2014

I wanted to add strikethrough style for resolved issues. After hours of looking for fairly easy solution, I've added my own code to announcement banner. My code looks for certain resolution state and adds CSS class (on page load and when ajax is completed, otherwise style would work only until you change filter). Maybe this will be useful to someone with similar problem:

<style type="text/css">
.resolved {
text-decoration: line-through;
}
</style>
<script type="text/javascript">
jQuery(document).ready(function() {
  jQuery('#issuetable tr td:contains("Done")').parent().addClass('resolved');
  jQuery('.list-content ol li .aui-group .aui-item span:contains("Done")').parent().parent().parent().addClass('resolved');
});
jQuery(document).ajaxComplete(function() {
  jQuery('#issuetable tr td:contains("Done")').parent().addClass('resolved');
  jQuery('.list-content ol li .aui-group .aui-item span:contains("Done")').parent().parent().parent().addClass('resolved');
});
</script>

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012

ah ok i thought you only need to differentiate them on the board.

sorry

maybe some manipulations can be made by adding some step properties in the workflow section but i am not sure

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012

so it won't help if you setup two cardcolors with different queries to match?

locally i've added

RED with "status = closed"

Orange with "status = resolved"

wich correctly colors up the cards matching to the queries

Yes but card colors are for the board only

Suggest an answer