Different permissions for different issue types

Keerthana Bhuthala March 6, 2019

Hi There,

Can we provide different permissions for different issue types?

Consider, I have a project with the issue types Epic, Task and Sub-task. The permissions should be as below:

EPIC - CREATE -> Myself and another person
           EDIT -> Current assignee and the above two people

TASK &SUB-TASK - CREATE & EDIT -> Open to all developers

In the permission schemes, it is mentioned just the issues, but not specific to types. Could you please let me know if there is a way to achieve it?

Thanks and Regards,

Keerthana Bhuthala

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Claudiu Lionte
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2019

Hi Keerthana,

No. This is not supported (and will not be supported) by Jira due to the added complexity. Have a look at JRACLOUD-42116 and JRASERVER-5865 to better understand the reasons behind this decision.

For the create permission, however, there is a workaround: You can use a separate workflow for Epic and in that workflow you can add a condition to the create transition. The creation of an issue (from the gray circle to the first status) is seen by Jira as a transition in the workflow. Have a look at the documentation article below to understand how you can add a condition to that transitions so that only certain users can perform it:

advanced-workflow-configuration

Claudiu

Keerthana Bhuthala March 7, 2019

Thank you for the info! 

Marianne Lee _Nagarro_ September 27, 2019

Hi @Claudiu Lionte ,

You mentioned there is a workaround for create permission by adding a condition.  In the case of Jira Cloud, Conditions are not available, only Validators and Post Functions.  And the options in Validators are limited to permissions. Is there a workaround to restricting creation of issues in Jira Cloud by Roles instead of Permissions?

Thanks and Regards,

Marianne Lee

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer