Difference in JQL results between Server and Cloud,

Su Wainwright May 15, 2023

We migrated from Jira Server to Cloud over the weekend. 

I'm trying to rebuild some filters and although the tickets are identical, and I cut and pasted the JQL, I'm getting a different result on Cloud to Sever.  The Server query is correct and returns three items, the Cloud query returns only one.

This is the Query

project = Meerkat and issuetype = "Client Requirement" and labels = "DOCUMENTATION" AND status != Cancelled AND status != "Rejected/Withdrawn" AND issueLinkType != "is verified by"

Does anyone have any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

Hello @Su Wainwright 

Did you verify that all your links, fields and contexts were imported? If not, do you have the same permissions?

Indeed I did.  Links, fields and contexts are identical.  And I have full admin rights on both systems.

Although what I think 'context' is might be different to what you think.  Could you explain?

JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

And on the fields of your request, on your three issues, is there no difference?

Have you try to create another issue that complete all requirements of the query to test it?

Yes I have and it appears on Server and not on Cloud.

JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Maybe you can try to write status not in (Cancelled, "Rejected/Withdrawn").And if you clone the only issue returned, the clone appears?

I think I've found what causing it.  The ticket that does appear has a couple of links which are not 'verified by'.   The two that don't appear on Cloud, don't have any links at all.  When a add a link (that isn't 'verified by') to one of them, it appears in the list.

I guess that this means that JQL on Cloud is treating 'having no links' differently to the way Server does it.

I would have thought having no links at all would count as not having the 'verified by' link.  But apparently not.

Any ideas what to do about this?  Adding (OR linktype is EMPTY) finds a lot of records I don't want.

JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Yes, you have to add (issueLinkType != "is verified by" or issueLinkType is EMPTY). It was what I wanted to know in my second answer but it was not clear.

Why are more unwanted issue appearing? Are they in the right case of your query ?

Maybe you should complete your query to filter more precisely?

project = Meerkat and issuetype = "Client Requirement" and labels = "DOCUMENTATION" AND status != Cancelled AND status != "Rejected/Withdrawn" AND (issueLinkType != "is verified by" OR issueLinkType is EMPTY)

On Cloud this gives records that have the 'is verified by' link.

I can't check this on Sever because you can't do 'issueLinkType is EMPTY'.

Something every odd.  On Cloud, when I go back to a basic query for link types, a lot of our link types are missing from the drop down.

It has all the ones it had before migration, but isn't showing any of the new ones that were created at migration - which would explain a lot.  

Any ideas why this might be.

JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

On server you can try issueLinkType = null to replace issueLinkType is EMPTY I believe :) And you can use this syntax on Cloud

Thank you for your help.  Adding issueLinkType = null to the Cloud query returns the same number of records as the original server query.

This is a fundamental difference in Querying between Cloud and Server.

Server takes issueLinkType != "is verified by" to include those with no links at all.

On Cloud you need to specifically exclude those without any links at all.

I can see this causing us a lot of problems as we've been on Server since 2014 and I would think a good 50% of our compliance queries are now producing an inaccurate result without anyone being aware.

I can't thank you enough for helping me get to the bottom of this.

JM Perrot
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

You're welcome, I learn a lot like that too.
Don't forget to close the topic if you are satisfied with your request.
Regards,
JM

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events