Difference between Original Estimate and Estimates in Jira Portfolio Edited

In Jira portfolio we have two estimate specific columns and i am finding difficult to differentiate among them. Can someone please help me to understand? Please have a look into the attached screenshotEstimates.png

2 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes

Hi Vineet,

I believe this difference came about in Portfolio because of this feature request:  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOSERVER-1354

The Original estimate is helpful to understand how much time was originally thought it would take to complete a task.  However the current estimates might not always be in line with that original estimate. It could be things change and now the estimate is significantly less or more to complete that task.  Or it can be that a user has logged time against that issue in Jira and in turn the Estimate is getting reduced as time goes by.   This view though can be helpful to understand where we started on this issue, and how much further we have to go.

Hi @Andrew Heinzer, Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. 

Hi! I have found this question, but still do not understand how I should use those two columns. Where should I put my estimates? Which of the columns will be adjusted (and how)?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

25,945 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you