Difference between Jira Cloud REST API and Server REST API?

I notice in the documentation that there is docs for a REST API for Jira Cloud, and another set of documentation for the REST API for Jira Server. TL;DR but browsing through the documentation there does not appear to be a lot of obvious difference.

We'd prefer to develop a client that works with both cloud and server. Does anyone know the core differences between these APIs? 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 votes
Josh Steckler Community Champion Oct 20, 2017

The only difference I saw (on latest versions as of today's date) was mention of Atlassian Connect authentication and development for Cloud. 

Separate docs come from best practice - These are technically different products and features may have different release dates on different platforms and the way those features work is not always going to be the same. Also it's important for Server to use the correct version.

There isn't a significant divergence in the Jira REST API as far as I am aware of right now. But there may be in the future.

1 votes
Tayyab Bashir Community Champion Oct 20, 2017

There are no major differences in Cloud and Server Rest APIs.
However you should keep your server updated with the latest version so that it has all the new updates and functions as Cloud. 

Older Server versions might have some missing functions and updates. 

Actually, I just found a difference:

If you do 

GET /rest/api/2/filter

on Jira Cloud, you get back a list of all known filters; however, if you do the exact same

GET /rest/api/2/filter

on Jira Server, you get a 405.

Can anyone explain this difference, please?

Josh Steckler Community Champion Feb 01, 2018

Hello Daniel,

We can expect to see the API (and product itself) for cloud vs. server to continue to diverge over time. We can no longer make assumptions that the API will work universally the same.

I'm not quite sure why this specific method on this endpoint doesn't exist on server.

Thanks, Josh.  

Yes, I get that the APIs will diverge over time.  I just wanted to respond to the original post and document what I believe to be a fairly significant difference between the two.  I hope others might find it useful as I was having a hard time investigating this issue.

Josh Steckler Community Champion Feb 01, 2018

Yep. I've found myself looking at the wrong API spec several times. Definitely frustrating sometimes.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,826 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot