Difference between 'Issue Layout' and Field schemes?

Oliver Swann December 19, 2018

I'm confused about when I'd be using the new 'Issue Layout' functionality versus modifying the Field scheme.

Both issue layout and field scheme lets you set a field to be hidden. Only 'Fields' lets you mark a field as required or optional, whereas only 'Issue Layout' lets you mark fields as secondary.

What's the best practice now for hiding fields for particular ticket types, should this be done via 'Issue Layout' now or is 'Fields' still the way to go?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2018

Hello,

This configuration is the new New Issue View. Actually it is long awaited feature. Because before this feature the New Issue View could not be set up and I had to use the old issue view.

Screens are for the old issue view.

Issue Layout for the new issue view.

Oliver Swann December 19, 2018

I see, thank you for the explanation.

Does anyone know if there are plans to deprecate Screens at some point? It's going to be tedious to maintain Screens/Fields/Layouts for the duration that it's possible for users to locally opt for either New or Old issue view.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2018

I am not sure about the plans. I think these two menu options must be merged some day.

Suggest an answer