Difference between Deactivating a user and revoking Application Access

Taylor Huston November 6, 2017

Functionally both of these actions seem to have the same goal.

Editing a user and unchecking the 'active' box.
Going to a user's profile and unchecking the Application access.

Both make it so the user cannot log in and does not count towards licensing.

Beyond that, what subtle differences are there? I couldn't find any clear information in the documentation.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2017

Hi Taylor,

Deactivating a user would disable it on the entire instance. Simply removing Application Access only removes their access from that one application.

So, for example, if you had an account with both Jira and Confluence, deactivating would remove access for both Jira and Confluence. Whereas removing Application Access from just Jira would ensure the user can still access Confluence.

If you only have one application, such as Jira, then it would essentially be the same.

I hope this is clear, but do let me know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Taylor Huston November 7, 2017

Hi Sannon, I assumed as much. I am looking for a workaround for what we are experiencing in:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-65293

Need to be able to deactivate users without turning off the ability to keep things like usernames and stuff synced with LDAP. I was hoping that revoking application access would serve mostly the same purpose. But it's still not ideal, as the automatic deactivator plugin we use still needs to be able to, you know, actually deactivate the user.

Suggest an answer