Difference JIRA / Confluence LDAP authentication? How can JIRA make use of LDAP attributes like eMail?

Jositz, Michael (Allianz SE) October 4, 2012

Hi there,

we use both products, JIRA (5.1.6) & Confluence (3.5.13). Both are configured that LDAP authenticates the user agains the AD password. Works fine in both cases.

My question now is:

In Confluence we just specify the CN and the user logs in with his username and password. All other data like Full Name & eMail are directly pulled out "life" from the active directory.

But in JIRA we need to specify username, Full Name & eMail when creating a new user.

How can we achieve that JIRA also takes eMail & Full Name from LDAP "on the fly"?

Thank you! Michael

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2012

Hi Michael, from what you've described I'm certain you've actually setup the 2 very differently.

In Confluence you have LDAP accounts.

In JIRA you have local accounts with LDAP authentication.

This explains the difference in behaviour. if you already have a live instance, you will need to migrate from local accounts with LDAP authentication to LDAP accounts. I'd suggest contacting Atlassian support to get some help with this.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2012

Contact Atlassian support for help. As far as I know, at the moment there isn't an automated and simple way.

0 votes
Jositz, Michael (Allianz SE) October 11, 2012

OK, understood. Am now a step further. Configured our JIRA System Integration with "Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only, with Local Groups)" and that works fine.

But there is one problem I can't fix at the moment. Example:

User "abc123" in at the moment existant in "JIRA Delegated Authentication Directory", meaning we manually create the user in JIRA with the name "abc123", add the user details and save. The user logs in and authenticates against LDAP, working fine. User also is member of some local groups.

When I now set the other userdirectory "Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only, with Local Groups)" active and bring it in 1st place the user "abc123" looses all his local group memberships.

How can I migrate the local group memberships from 1 directory to the other so that I can switch from the actual setup to "Microsoft Active Directory (Read Only, with Local Groups)"?

Suggest an answer