Diagnosing a slow loading JIRA issue

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2017

I have a series of JIRA issues which take as much as 7 seconds to load, and I want to understand what is causing the performance issue.

When profiling the performance of the page, I notice that there are two identical calls which contain most of the loading times: Retrieve From cache/db and filter.

Is there a way to dig into what's actually happening during these calls? I assume that I need a greater level of detail to understand why some, but not all issues, take so long to be read from the cache.

[0ms] - PermissionManager.getProjectObjects()
[0ms] - PermissionManager.hasPermission()
[2145ms] - Retrieve From cache/db and filter
[104ms] - Lucene Search
[0ms] - IssueIndexManager.getIssueSearcher()
[104ms] - Lucene Query
[2159ms] - Retrieve From cache/db and filter
[112ms] - Lucene Search

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2017

For posterity, there was a condition using a JQL query that was causing the slow loading.

This was the reason for the page being slow to load and not just for actions such as transitions.

M Hoogenboom June 20, 2018

Hi Daniel, how did you find out which JQL it was?

We experience the same. When clicking on an issue in an Agile board, the issue is shown within half a second, but when I open the issue in a new tab, it takes 6 to 7 seconds to open. Opening the Agile board itself also costs about 10 secs.

Aliaksei Shorkin June 22, 2019

Hi Daniel, can you please provide more details about "there was a condition using a JQL query that was causing the slow loading". How JQL condition is related to Issue load time? Was it caused by any plugin?

Rob Peterson February 2, 2020

@DanielG - what condition using a JQL query?  a search condition or a plugin that was specifically making the call? @M Hoogenboom and @Aliaksei Shorkin and I all appear to be in the same boat... not sure if they found anything out at this point... 

Any assistance appreciated.

DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2020

With the caveat that this was a few years ago - there was some trickery being done where the transition options were based on JQL queries, in a project which had issue-level security enabled, so Jira ran the query on page load and it was really expensive.

1 vote
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2017

Hi,

Sometimes certain plugins slows down the loading if the issue has a large change history, the only way I know to get more level of detail is by using a profiler like jprofiler.

i had this problems several time, what I do is:

1. try to find what the slow issues had in common
  2. turn on safe mode disabling all the plugins and set a baseline for loading times
  3. start one by one each plugin while measuring the performance impact of each one

But first of all make sure your db connectivity and latency are correct and the io performance is ok based on atlassian parameters ( there's an io testing tool from atlassian)

hope you can find the solutions, this problems gave all of us insight to solve future problems 

is this a very large instance?

Suggest an answer