Diagnosing a slow loading JIRA issue

I have a series of JIRA issues which take as much as 7 seconds to load, and I want to understand what is causing the performance issue.

When profiling the performance of the page, I notice that there are two identical calls which contain most of the loading times: Retrieve From cache/db and filter.

Is there a way to dig into what's actually happening during these calls? I assume that I need a greater level of detail to understand why some, but not all issues, take so long to be read from the cache.

[0ms] - PermissionManager.getProjectObjects()
[0ms] - PermissionManager.hasPermission()
[2145ms] - Retrieve From cache/db and filter
[104ms] - Lucene Search
[0ms] - IssueIndexManager.getIssueSearcher()
[104ms] - Lucene Query
[2159ms] - Retrieve From cache/db and filter
[112ms] - Lucene Search

2 answers

1 accepted

For posterity, there was a condition using a JQL query that was causing the slow loading.

This was the reason for the page being slow to load and not just for actions such as transitions.

0 votes
Gaston Valente Community Champion Jul 15, 2017

Hi,

Sometimes certain plugins slows down the loading if the issue has a large change history, the only way I know to get more level of detail is by using a profiler like jprofiler.

i had this problems several time, what I do is:

1. try to find what the slow issues had in common
  2. turn on safe mode disabling all the plugins and set a baseline for loading times
  3. start one by one each plugin while measuring the performance impact of each one

But first of all make sure your db connectivity and latency are correct and the io performance is ok based on atlassian parameters ( there's an io testing tool from atlassian)

hope you can find the solutions, this problems gave all of us insight to solve future problems 

is this a very large instance?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,118 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot