Devide information into issue fields from emails

Dana Gessler January 17, 2020

Hello!

I am currently trying to automate a registration process for an internal event.
The registrations are coming via e-mail in this format:

E-Mail: (insert value)
Salutation: (insert value)
Academic Title: (insert value)
Prename: (insert value)
Last name: (insert value)
Company: (insert value)

I've set up a mail handler and my Jira project is configured that each field in the form exists as a field for my Jira issue. But right now, the handler only transfers issues into that project with the e-mail title, the content of the mail is completely gone.

Is there a possibility to pump each line from the e-mail into the corresponding fields of my field configuration?

Thank you very much.

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2020

Hello @Dana Gessler

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Per your description, it seems you want the text added in the e-mail body to be added to the respective fields in the Jira issue when sending the e-mail to the configured e-mail handler. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, the e-mail handlers provided by JIRA Software and Jira Service Desk does not have the functionality to set extra fields to issues. Through e-mail, you can only set the reporter, Request participants (Watchers), summary and description.

We have the following feature request to improve the e-mail handlers to accept additional fields:

Customize mail handler to use specific fields value extracted from the e-mail 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

As a workaround, there are some apps that provide you with a handler that you can use to add additional fields when creating an issue through e-mail, like:

Enterprise Mail Handler for Jira 

Email This Issue 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer