Description field becomes empty when doing state transitions from Jira REST API

Deleted user February 3, 2020

Hi All,
I am getting a weird issue in Jira cloud. We have imported content from Clear Quest to Jira cloud. Imported fields with content including description field. we are consuming Jira REST API urls for attachments and state transitions.
Here when we are doing state transitions (Submitted to Closed) , when the transition is done , Description field data is clearing . I am not updating desc from input json.

Is this manadate to update the description field from state transitions input JSON?

Pls let me know…

Thanks
Vishnu

2 answers

0 votes
Bartosz Robakowski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2022

Hello Vishnu, I reproduced the reported issue and finally resolved this bug.

0 votes
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2020

Hello @[deleted]

Can you share with us the REST call structure you are using? Description fields should not disappear when transitioning, you are completely right there.

Deleted user February 4, 2020

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Pls find the below request details.

When i do these transitions (Submitted --> Resolved, Resolved --> Closed) Desc is getting cleared. But all other transitions are working fine without any issues.

Deleted user February 4, 2020

IssueTransition_POST_Req_Details.jpg

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

Hello again,

I see two things here. First, a side note. You are adding an expand query parameter on the Transition POST function. This will not do anything in particular. It is only part of the Get Transitions API.

Secondly, I can't see the body you are sending with your POST request. This is where I believe the crux of the problem might be. If you see the docs for the transition API you will see that only the fields included in the `fields` block of the body will be updated. I would imagine that you have something like:

fields: {

description: '',

}

in the body you are sending through. Can you share the body you are sending with your request?

Deleted user February 5, 2020

This is the JSON i am passing for state transition.

{
"update": {
},
"transition": {
"id": "{0}"
}

}

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 5, 2020

I'd give it a go sending only: 

{
"transition": { "id": "0" } }
Deleted user February 6, 2020

I have provided below json for issue transition with out updating , but the same issue . it is very frustrating.Seems like even for issue transition it is updating description field.

{
//"update": {},
"transition": {
"id": "{0}"
}
//"fields": {
//}
}

}

IssueTransition_History.jpg

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2020

This is very odd indeed. From what you are sharing there seems to be an underlying issue we should tackle.

I believe the best option we have here is to bring in a support engineer to the conversation. Can you please open a support ticket for this? 
https://support.atlassian.com/contact

🙇‍♂️

Deleted user February 7, 2020

Sure . i will raise the support ticket. Hope you are not charging anything for this support ticket . Pls confirm so that i can raise the ticket.

Thanks

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
February 9, 2020

No charges :) Feel free to contact our support team when you face a roadblock like this 🚀

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events