Description Field Edit

Blake Falanga May 13, 2020

I've noticed that once a bug issue type is created, the Description field can't be edited at all. However, when a User Story, Epic, or Spike is created, I have the rights to edit the Description field. Does anyone have an idea on how to change the settings on this field to allow for editing to occur on the Description field for Bugs? 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2020

My best guess is that the description is on the "create" screen, but not the "edit" screen.

If a field is not on "edit", then it can't be edited directly (you'll still be able to change it during transisions)

Blake Falanga May 14, 2020

Thank you! This worked! 

Scott Lutwyche August 11, 2020

We have users on our tenancy with a similar problem of not being able to edit the Description field.

I've spent hours today looking through the settings to try and find where the 'edit' screen is, but to no avail.

Can someone please advise where this is?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2020

Go to the project admin and look for the screen scheme in use, descend into that and you'll see where you are using different screens for create and edit by issue type.

For each issue type / operation (create, edit , view)  it uses the same default screen

Screen-DefaultIssueTypeScreen for DIP.png

Also clicking on the screen the Description column appears to be there.

Screen-Isues- ConfigureScreen.png
Only 'admin' roles can edit the description.   Not sure why.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2020

You are in the right area, but your first screenshot is showing us the screens for all the issue types except "bug"!  Could you expand that one and have a look?

Like Scott Lutwyche likes this

Didn't think it was relevant as we're not using bugs yet.
It shows a different screen DIP: Scrum Bug Screen

Screen - Bug.png

..which also includes a Description field.
DIP: Scrum Bug Screen

Screen-DIP:ScrumBugScreen.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2020

Sorry, the original question says "Description field for bugs", so I was going with that.  But your bug screen definitely has it as well, so it's not that.

The only other thing I can think of is that your people are experiencing Jira trying to be "clever", where it hides fields they may not want, until they explicitly tell it that they do. 

If you get someone who doesn't see the field to click "edit", they should get a large pop-up.  At the top right, have a look for "configure" - is the description field listed without a tick for displaying it?  Probably more usefully, if you do that, there is an option for "where's my field" which should tell you why it is missing.

Suggest an answer