Deploying Jira Server on AWS

Ben Mazerolle February 7, 2018

Hello everyone, 

I'm attempting to deploy a JIRA Software Server license on AWS, and keep getting blocked by the license page telling me that I need a data center license. Is there no way to deploy the server-only edition on AWS. Is this true of all cloud hosting services, that I will need a data center license for deployment? 

Thanks and apologies for the newbie question. 

7 answers

4 votes
Charly [DEISER]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2018

Hi @Ben Mazerolle

How did you deploy the application in AWS? if you used the AWS quick start you have deployed a data center installation and this is the reason you need a data center license.

Otherwise yes, you can have a server installation in AWS but you have to download the binary file and install it manually in your EC2 instance.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/installing-jira-applications-on-linux-938846841.html

Regards

Ben Mazerolle February 7, 2018

Hi Carlos, 

I did deploy using AWS quick start. Will able to to "edit" this deployment to accommodate the serve license, or will I need to start from scratch?

Many thanks 

Charly [DEISER]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2018

I'm not 100% sure that you are able to edit this setup. In my opinion you will need to start over, but remember that you can't use the template from the AWS quick start.

In this case the template did create a lot of components that you probably do not need in a server instance, ie:

• shared storage
  • Load balancer
  • Oversize EC2
  • etc

It also creates a file called cluster.properties in your jira home path.

I think it will be easier to delete this setup and just create your EC2 instance, and the RDS db.

Cheers

2 votes
Marcelo Mella September 24, 2018

Maybe a little late for this response.

You can't configure JIRA Server following the AWS manual, because, it is intended for Datacenter.

The problem is that EFS is only compatible with Datacenter, and not Server.

I have installed JIRA and Confluence on a t2.medium machine with an RDS attached, and is working fine. You should install it as any Linux installation.

Timothy Johnson January 4, 2019

can you walk me through how you did that? I am having problems doing so for mysql jira.

1 vote
Barnali Putatunda
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2019

Hi,

Following the quick start template it is not possible to get the server edition installed on AWS.

But it can be achieved. We have installed a Confluence server edition on AWS. What we have done is:

1. Created our own AMI with Confluence server installastion.
2. launch instance using that AMI to get a server edition on AWS.

Basically through this way you are not dependent on the quick start template & define your own choice of infrastructure.
Disadvantage is that you will not get Atlassian support on your own code/ cloud formation templates.

Timothy Johnson January 10, 2019

Thanks. I did exactly that. 

0 votes
Anjali September 9, 2019

Hi All,

I have been trying to upgrade Jira in AWS from 7.13.3 to latest 7.13.6 release using the same base AMI I used to deploy Jira 7.13.3

However when I install the latest version it is asking for Data Centre license rather than a server license. 

The customised cloudformation Template used to deploy Jira in April 2019 no longer deploys Server version. 

0 votes
Timothy Johnson November 8, 2018

Is there a way to switch from Postgres to Mysql in the template?

0 votes
Dileep Govindan April 17, 2018

Hello Ben, were you able to successfully install single server JIRA on the AWS server? I am also planning to do the same and hence wanted to check if you faced any further roadblocks. thank you.

0 votes
Jay Kantaria March 20, 2018

Quick start AWS  templates installs Data Center version of Atlassian tools.  I am also finding this out now.  You cannot modify existing Data Center setup to accept your regular license.  As suggested above your option is to start from scratch.

Suggest an answer