Deleting user

Pavlo Shynal February 24, 2021

We have a user, who was an organizer and admin of the Jira project. Now, this user is inactive and we want to delete him. How this can be implemented?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2021

Do not delete users

Users should be made inactive not deleted. JIRA uses a pointer to the user’s DB entry to display user information. If you delete a user when you open a JIRA issue the user worked on anywhere the user that would be displayed will cause a SQL error. Even if the user never logged on or were assigned a ticket the history of the ticket will get an error when you display it.

Thanks, Joe. The problem is that we are using a free plan (up to 10 users) and now have a problem that we are not allowed to add users, and also cannot delete existing one (who was an admin and organization). So how can we act in this situation?

Thanks, Joe. The problem is that we use a free plan (up to 10 users) and now we are not allowed to add an additional users. We'd like to make the current admin inactive and as a substitution add another user. How tat could be made?

1 vote
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2021

Hi @Pavlo Shynal 

Just to expand on this, deactivation is the way to go or just remove the product access from the user so it doesn't count towards a license. Product access refers groups that are given application access to Jira. You can do this from the "Admin hub".

There are many issues that may arise as a result of a delete hence the caution.However deleting a user on cloud right now doesn't remove the user's property entirely and it simply just turns it inactive.

Pavlo Shynal February 25, 2021

Appreciate your reply, @Prince Nyeche

I will try the way you suggested.

@Prince Nyeche When we are trying to revoke access for the user, who has org&site admins access, it shows us a notification (see left bottom corner)

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2021

Hi @Pavlo Shynal 

Please can you remove the image above as it contains email address of your users. The reason why you get that error is because for you to remove an Org admin, you will need to first remove the Org admin ability from your settings as show on the below image.

admin.png

After that, go to your user hub https://<your-instance>.atlassian.net/admin find the user and remove them from the site-admin group.

thanks again @Prince Nyeche 

Will try!

yoshi0214 March 4, 2022

@Prince Nyeche 

I have a free plan but I have problems trying to remove myself from Jira.

Do you know how to erase 'site-admins'?

2022-03-05_10h48_16.png2022-03-05_10h39_56.png

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2022

You cannot remove yourself from the site-admin group. You have to use another user who has site-admin privilege to remove it.

Like yoshi0214 likes this
yoshi0214 March 4, 2022

@Prince Nyeche thanks, I understand. :)

Suggest an answer