Deleting data from jira tasks

Ase IT November 10, 2019

Due to GDPR I need to delete data in jira tasks, without deleting the task it self.

We use ID numbers to identify customers. Due to this, we have ID numbers in our tasks, for instance if a specific costumer is included in a bug, we have to list the ID number in the task. 

Now I need to "run through" all Jira tasks and delete this number, both in comments and in description etc.. Is there a smart and simple way to do this?

Preferable a method that can be repeated once in a while.

Regards

Anders

1 answer

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2019

Hi @Ase IT,

I've found this add-on, which enables you to replace string in comments:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214301/comment-toolbox-for-jira

https://kostebekteknoloji.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/JCT/pages/8257543/Replace+String+in+Comment

But it looks like that it won't help you with the description field etc.

The only other way I can think of is write some custom script, but it is not a simple solution.

Ase IT November 11, 2019

Hi Hana

Thanks for your answer. I really appreciate it.

However, it looks like you need to know the exact text-string you want to replace.

In my case, I'll need to identify all numbers that holds 10 digits, and either delete them, or replace them with 10 "x's"

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2019

Hi @Ase IT,

did you find any way how to resolve this problem?

I've been thinking about it and I found out, that maybe you could do it using Jira backup functionality:

• export all your data to your filesystem
  • replace all the strings you need using some text editor (find and replace the strings using regular expressions)
  • import your data back

Do you think this approach could work for you?

Like Dave Liao likes this

Suggest an answer