Deleting a large project

Jens Kisters __SeibertSolutions
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2019

Hello,

we have an project in a Jira Server 7.13 instance wich serves as an archive for legacy data,

it currently holds 320K issues.

We have decided to move this project to a separate instance because we think the large number of issues is bloating up the instance and has too much of an impact on performance.

So we cloned the instance, deleted the "current" projects on the copy, but how can we get rid of the large project on the source instance?
Deleting a project with 7K issues has an ETA of over 24 hours, so i am wondering:

Is there a way to eliminate the impact of the large project that does not involve upgrading to Jira Datacenter 8 to make use of issue archiving?

Maybe one that would work as temporary workaround until there is a better solution available (Like JRASERVER-67413)?
Something like 

• Disable the project on the database level
  • rebuild the index

Any better suggestions? 
If not, any idea on how to disable the project?

kind regards

Jens

2 answers

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2019

As no better idea came up i am going for this solution:

A cron job runs and sql containing all issues to delete and deletes the using the REST API one by one.
As the deletion of a single issue currently takes 15-20 seconds this would take the system 1-2 weeks under full load to delete them all.

I hope the time for the deletion of one issue will decrease as the number of issues decreases, we will see.

So i am scheduling this to run outside office hours and the issues will be gone in a couple of months...Yay

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2020

In the end It took 48 Days to delete 321.000 Issues.

Fun Fact: In the beginning deleting an issue took more time than creating a new one.

But the more issues were deleted the more issues could be deleted per day.

0 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2019

HI @Jens Kisters __SeibertSolutions 

If you decide that this project is no longer required then you can take the backup of instance and delete it permanently ie Offline archiving.

if not then go with online archive like applying for read-only permission etc..so that no one will be able to access that project and respective issues hence there is no impact on Jira performance as well..

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/archiving-a-project-in-jira-server-950287459.html

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2019

Thank you for the pointer.

Thinking about it i am unsure if "online achiving" would have a positive impact on performance, especially on indexing new / updated issues.

Cheers

Jens

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2019

In regards to "Offline archiving": the point of my question is how that could be achieved, as i'd expect 

4. In your live Jira instance, select Projects from the Administration menu, then click the Delete link to delete the project and all of its issues.

Would take very long

Suggest an answer