Deleting a custom field context

bschmi April 25, 2023

Hi Community,

during a migration with Configuration Manager for Jira custom field "Story Points" got own contexts for each migrated project.

I learned deleting a context would destroy values saved in the corresponding custom field for all affected issues.

We deleted the context (ACCOUNTING) anyway and noticed nothing was lost (we even let a full-forefound re-index follow for the instance). This is great - and actually it means there is no problem at all - just the question why is that?

Is it because it is a plain number field (not checkboxes and the like) and the project is now using the global context?grafik.png

I would have expected that the project assigned to the "ACCOUNTING" context would lose values in custom field "Story Point" for all issues.

It is Jira Server 9.4.

Best regards,
Birgit

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ojase Emmanuval
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

Hi @bschmi ,

The field values will bit get deleted from the database when you delete a context from JIRA. The custom field table holds this value and when JIRA issue satisfy a new context, it shows the field value on the screen. In your case, you have deleted the field context ACCOUNTING, but enable global context to allow the project to show the value on JIRA screen.

I hope that make sense!

Thanks,

Ojase

Suggest an answer