Deleting A Project

James Lewis March 28, 2018

Hi, 

Very new to jira,  if I delete a project,  with it also delete the projects workflow,  issue types,  etc.

Id like to start from scratch with the project and want a clean slate, so to speak. However there are other projects in the jira environment so want to make sure i delete this one project and all its previous associations - workflows etc.

1 answer

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2018

Hi James,

if you delete a project and different schemes etc. have been created for it (or existing ones have been associated with the project), they will not be deleted as well. Issue types won't be deleted as they are available in your instance and then assigned to a project using a scheme. So you have to do some cleaning up in the administraton afterwards depending on what you did before.

Best, Max

Thanks Max,

I may continue with what I have thus far and see where I go with it, Im finding the whole issue types,  work flows etc very confusing - possibly a little contradictory if Im honest. Not sure if anyone on here who has previous SharePoint experiance could relate to this. Perhaps putting in SharePoint terms for me to get my head around?

James

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2018

Sharepoint is [where documents go to die ^H^H^H], a document repository, not an issue tracker, so an explanation in those terms is not likely to help you much, as they're not analogous.

The easiest thing to do is think of a Jira project as a "Container for issues".  The container holds as many issues as you care to generate, and it has a set of labels written on it that tells those issues how to behave.  The labels are pointers to global configurations.One tricky thing is that when you create a new project, Jira has been coded to create new global configurations as a convenience, so you don't have to set them up every time.  Even though they are named after the project, they are still global, and that can look very confusing.When you delete a project, you are discarding the container, and the current contents.  But you do not throw away anything else, including any global config the project creation process may have created.Another description I've seen:

Create Project
      Creates ProjectCreates Config
    Using Project
      Creates issues
    Deleting Project
      Deletes issuesDeletes Project

Nick I love your "where documents go to die" - Thanks for your description. Its all starting to make sense,  all be it slowly :-( 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2018

You're probably going quicker than you think - it was a steep learning curve when I started with Jira, and that was when we had 1/5 the functionality you've got nowadays!

Oh god no Im not doing that well,  now Ive come across fields,  lol. Its awkward as Im working on a system which is live and has lots of prebuilt projects in it, including schemes, types, fields, the lot

...confused-dot-com

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2018

The fields, schemes, issue types, priorities, resolutions, screens and so-on all fall into "global config".  If you delete a project, you won't affect them. 

Except for field content, which will be deleted along with the issues holding it.

Suggest an answer