Delete old issues done

Carlota Vendrell January 17, 2019

I've got a lot of issues in the column Done and there will be more and more. There is any configuration to delete automatically the issues that are in this column for a long time? Like 4 weeks? I saw solutions using swim-lanes but I want those issues to disappear from my board

3 answers

1 vote
pete.singleton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 17, 2019

As above, do not delete tickets.  There are a couple of options I use:

• Configure the Kanban board to hide issues that are older than 2 weeks.  You can do this easily in the latest versions, but if you are on an older version you can do it by changing the filter.  A Board Admin can do this for you.
  • Create a new status of 'Closed', which is after Done.  The just don't map this status to a column on the board.

I like the option of create a Quick Filter to hide the issues. What would be the JQL code to hide issues that are done more than 4 weeks?

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2019

To show only issues resolved within the last 4 weeks:

resolutiondate >= -4w

You can also do this with days, for example:

resolutiondate >= -7d

Yep, I've created a Quick Filter to hide those issues: status != Done or (status = Done and resolutiondate >= -4w)

1 vote
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2019

Carlota, 

Are you using a Kanban board? What type of project are you using? Joseph is right, you shouldn't "Delete" the tickets, but you can make configuration changes that will remove them from your board and help you focus on your work. 

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2019

Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

Suggest an answer