Delete completed demo sprint because useless and empty

Stefano Ortelli October 21, 2014

Hello

For training reasons you create a demo project with a demo scrum board a demo sprint, then you start the sprint and then you complete it. When the training is over you delete the board and the project but the sprint aren't deleted and remain "alive" in the system, at the moment we have about 25 useless "Sprint 1"! How can those zombie sprints be annihilated? I know that it can't be done from the UI, I mean annihilate them in the db.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Stefano Ortelli October 22, 2014

I have deleted them from the db, but it wasn't really simple, because a lot of "demo" rapid boards were still in the database (Why? They had been deleted, they weren't anymore visible in the UI!) and to delete them you have to delete a lot of entries in many tables due the foreign key constraint.

I always wonder, why the DB experts never use the "on delete cascade" option in the foreign key constraint, this option is exactly though for such cases, to don't have to delete hundred of rows in dozen of tables to delete only one entry in one table. When the model is a (UML) composition, namely the object owns the parts, which alone don't make any sense, and the object is disposed (deleted) also the parts must be disposed (deleted).

The "on delete cascade" option has two great benefits, first it maintains consistency in the database, because it takes care to delete the parts if the object is deleted, and second it reduces the traffic to the database, because you have only to send one delete statement and not twenty delete statement and perhaps twenty select statement before them.

Suggest an answer