Defining security on issue type

Marc Vander Jeught February 12, 2014

Hello

I would like to define security on issue type.

I have a project with 2 different issue types. I'd like some of users to have access to only 1 issue type and not the other.

It looks like rights are defined on project level not on issue type.

Is there any way I can achieve this?

Thanks and regards,

Marc

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2014

No. Security and permissions are done at Project level, not issue type.

There are some work-arounds:

The obvious one is to set up a security scheme and then automatically set the security level with a snippet of code in a post-function. That would mean users could create issues of a type which are then automatically hidden from them, but that's a little bit ugly ("where did the issue I created go?"), unless you use some other trick to stop them creating them.

You can also have different permissions to move through the workflows, as workflows are configured at an issuetype level (e.g. workflow 1 allows open -> in progress for a user and is used for issue-type 1, and workflow 2 doesn't allow it and is used for issue-type 2)

Marc Vander Jeught February 12, 2014

Hi

Thanks a lot for this very quick answer.

I'm afraid the problem is not only on the workflow. User 1 has full access to issue types 1 and 2. User 2 would have access to issue type 2 only but should be able to modify fields (due date for example). I think this is more related to general access rights and cannot be defined at issue level.

Am I wrong?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2014

No, you're correct, permissions (such as "edit issue") are done at a project level.

Marc Vander Jeught February 13, 2014

Thank you Nic

Suggest an answer