Default Issue Types

Jade Melcher November 1, 2018

Hello,

When I create an issue, the create issue screen shows me the last issue type I used by default. If I recently created a 'Story' the issue type will default to 'Story'. If I recently created a 'Design Story' the issue type will default to 'Design Story'.

When my colleague creates an issue, his create issue screen always defaults to the same issue type 'Design Story'.

We are using the same project. As far as I know you cannot configure default issue types per project/user so I am unsure why he sees the same one every time.

What do you think?

3 answers

4 votes
Dave Hollingshead August 14, 2019

Please give us a way to set the default issue type in the next-gen project.

Right now ours is Story, which is not often intentionally used, and we'd like it to be Task.

william December 2, 2020

Do you know if there is a solution to this in next-gen project?

3 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2018

Hi, Jade.

By default, JIRA Administrators have the ability to change the default issue type displayed on the Create Issue screen with reference to the How to change the default issue type displayed at the Create Issue screen. KB.

Once a user has created an issue in a project in the current session, JIRA retains the issue type from the previous issue any time the user creates a new issue in the same project. This is intended to make it easier for users to quickly create issues, such as when a software developer is creating a number of stories for a sprint or a QA engineer is filing bugs.

Since the behavior that you are experiencing on your end differs from your colleague, I would like to understand if it stems from the environment itself.

• Can you please let me know if you tested this on the same web browser on the similar version?
  • Have you tested this on Google Chrome's Incognito / Safari's Private mode so we can confirm that it is not a cache issue?
  • Any other users experiencing the same issue (defaulted back to Design Story)?

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Stephen Wille July 12, 2019

The instructions on the link for changing the default issue type doesn't seem to map to the new Jira.  So far I have not been able to find a way to do this.

Like # people like this
Deleted user July 19, 2019

Yes -- this doesn't seem to work with what I am seeing either.

Like # people like this
Ismail April 22, 2020

Hmm...its  Apr 2020 still this is the same...its not available in the next-gen project. Everytime we need to change Story to Issue and we keep on forget to choose....

Like # people like this
Josh Empson May 21, 2020

We would also very much like this functionality, to force users to select the appropriate issue type as opposed to just the same one they used last time - this will save us an awful lot of time gathering this data after the ticket has been created.

Like Wyllis Greenway likes this
william December 2, 2020

This guide does not work for me either :(

william December 4, 2020

I have found a fix for this :)

Go to Project settings > Apps > Project automation > Create rule. 

You can set an automation rule to always select tasks when creating a ticket.

Hope this helps

Santosh Subramani May 7, 2021

Hello @william 

can you share the screenshot of your automation rule

0 votes
william May 7, 2021

@Santosh Subramani  hope this helps, I also created one that forces the ticket to be assigned to the user that created it if they forget to select anything. 

PIC1.png

william May 7, 2021

pic2.png

Santosh Subramani May 10, 2021

Hello @william , '

Thanks for the reply. 

Following automation , its create a task issue type even if you choose to create epic. 

that's is not the intended behavior 

What user wants is when the click on create button , For all the user it should load as task type by default , if they wish they can change the issue type too. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer