Decipher Velocity Chart

apoddar July 31, 2013

This might sound very trivial question to all, but I am having hard time understanding the Velocity chart numbers that are generated by JIRA.

I have recently started to use this tool for one of my client and wanted to understand how JIRA arrives at committed & completed number for each Sprint.

Also , please consider the scenario when I include story into the mid Sprint.

Appreciate the help!

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2013

Hi Additya,

I guess the concept of Estimation and tracking in greenhopper is what you want to understand first, because the velocity chart is a plot of the number of commited units of Estimation Statistic (e.g storypoints, business value, hours, issue count etc) against the actual number of units completed for each sprint.

"The Velocity Chart shows the amount of value delivered in each sprint, enabling you to predict the amount of work the team can get done in future sprints. It is useful during your sprint planning meetings, to help you decide how much work you can feasibly commit to."

You may review the following documentation for more details:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Velocity
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Configuring+Estimation+and+Tracking

Regards.

apoddar July 31, 2013

Thanks Taiwo!

Actually I have gone through these links already. Currently when I look at my Sprint Report (after sprint ends) and the Velocity report I am unable to create relationship between:

Sprint Report - Completed Issue, Not Completed, Removed form Sprint

VS.

Velocity Report - Comitted & Completed.

I specifically am facing trouble matching the committed points.

Please be aware that there are "*" marked stories (i.e. added mid sprint), if that affects the calculation in any way.

We are using Story points as our basis of calculation.

Please let me know.

Thanks for help!

Suggest an answer