Date format using the Date Picker field in a Service Portal

Steve H_ February 17, 2021

Apologies up front if there is a Q&A already on this, but I'm not finding it.

Creating  A Doc Request form using the JIRA Service project and custom fields. For my "Requested date" custom field, for example, when I preview it in the Portal, it asks me for the date format as follows:

17/May/21

What I want is:

02/17/2021

I changed to the "MM/dd/YYYY"  date format in the "Look and Feel" (../secure/admin/LookAndFeel!default.jspa) settings, but when I go back to the Preview option, it still looks for the date format of "17/May/21".

What am I not changing correctly?

TIA

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2021

@Steve H_, in this case, you would need to update the advanced settings. Have a look at the Configuring date picker formats section at Changing the Due Date Input Format. This article should address that for you.

Cheers,

IL.

Steve H_ February 18, 2021

Thanks for the quick response; I'll take a look today.

Steve H_ February 19, 2021

So I made the change, but in the Portal Preview, the date format is still "17/May/21"

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2021

Hi @Steve H_, I tested it myself, and it worked just fine for both Atlassian Cloud and Data Center. Did you follow the configurations from the example/docs I shared above? It would be helpful if you could share a screenshot of the parameters you've set so that we can better assist you here.

Steve H_ February 22, 2021

look-n-feel00.PNGlook-n-feel01.PNG

Attached; first capture is the Look and Feel section from the Settings and the second is a Portal Preview shot of the Request form.

Thanks again for the help.

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2021

@Steve H_, this is not configured in the look and feel settings but in the JIRA user interface via options on the Advanced Settings page. 

Editing JIRA's advanced settings
To access and edit options on the 'Advanced Settings' page:

1. Choose  > System. 
2. Click the Advanced Settings button on the 'General Configuration' page.
3. Edit the value of a Key by clicking its value on the right of the page and modifying the existing value.

To update the parameters you're looking for, have a look at Changing the Due Date Input Format. You need to update the following

• jira.date.picker.java.format property
  • jira.date.picker.javascript.format property

Cheers.

That got it--thought I had done that.

Add on question:  Is this Global for the rest of the company by changing this or is it relevant only to my project?

Thanks in advance.

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2021

This is a global configuration that affects all projects within your Jira instance. You should carefully consider making global changes to prevent undesired side-effects to your users. 😉

Like Dave Liao likes this

Will do; yeah, I am devout follower of Murphy, so instead of breaking someone else's project, I'll keep things as is.

Thanks again for the prompt response and help.

Like # people like this
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2021

Yeah, no problem. I'm glad it helped.

Suggest an answer